Neurology Community
Panoramic X Ray cause headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Panoramic X Ray cause headache

Has anyone experienced dizziness and mild headaches after Panoramic X Ray?

I had one done at City Xray in Sydney and have been suffering dizziness and mild headaches after that.

They cooked my brain oo what?
Assuming they did one of those 180-degree teeth X-rays, where you stand in a little booth and the machine goes around the front of your face, to get pictures of your whole dental situation in your mouth, well, that will not make you dizzy or give you a headache.  If they were doing that kind of X-ray, it's no different than if they X-rayed your chest where your heart is or X-rayed your leg.  Now, if let's say you have a tooth problem right now, and that's how come you had that kind of panoramic X-ray done, THAT'S what is giving you a headache and making you dizzy, you got a tooth infection or cavity that is exposing the nerve.  So, you'll probably have to go to the dentist to get a tooth filled or pulled or whatever.

But if they did what we in the States call the MRI, which stands for magnetic resonance imaging, where you lay down and they roll your head part into a small round device, and they did your head and it made a lot of noise, well, THAT CAN give you a headache and make you dizzy.  I was in one of those MRI machines, they were checking to see if I had MS lesions in my brain, and when it got to about the middle of my head, I could feel something at the very top, a kind of sizzling, I KID YOU NOT!  I figured they fried a little cyst I had up there on my scalp.  But it's just magnets rotating around, so no heat, but I KNOWS it was that machine that done SOMEthing to my head.  

And lastly, if they did a CT or CAT scan, which you also lay down, but it's a real big ring device that they roll your whole body through it, then sometimes they'll inject a dye that helps light up parts of the body they want to see better, that dye can sometimes make you have a little allergic reaction, or give you a little burning sensation, and that dye takes a little while to completely drain out of the body, so drink extra water to help get it out of your system faster.  

But despite every opinion I've given you, I am no expert, so if your headaches and dizziness get significantly worse, either go to the ER or contact City X-ray in Sydney, and ask them what is going on as relates to the machine they used on you.  Or if you know it was for your teeth, obviously go to a dentist and have the X-rays forwarded to him, so he can decide what needs corrected with your teeth.
I did, I had a headache after full mouth panoramic x ray and electric nightmares after that.
Blanca, I should have added in my descriptions a couple years ago that another thing MIGHT be to blame.  Dentists give injections to numb up the mouth that sometimes cause a person to feel really shaky.  I am familiar with the feeling, so I just didn't think of mentioning it.  But as I've gotten older, I am more and more sensitive to this drug.  It's when they inject your gums to numb up the nerves for your teeth, that it'll cause you to sometimes nearly pass out.  And there is a lingering effect that generally ends once the numbness goes away.  But you can be weak-kneed for the rest of the day.  That's probably what caused your bad dreams.  Hope this helps, but I may be all wet about the X-ray thing, but I just do not think that caused this.  GG
Andy,

Four days ago, I had a panoramic x-ray taken of my mouth.  It was suggested by my dentist.  I regret tremendously that I had it done.  Having the x-ray taken was totally unnecessary.  Nothing important was learned from viewing the panoramic image of my jaw, mouth, and sinus.  Moreover, since having the panoramic x-ray, my whole head and neck have been in tremendous tension.   I have been experiencing this tension of the head and neck constantly.  My upper jaw and lower jaw have been tension.  I feel the same sensation even in my teeth and eyes.  My vision has slightly worsen.  I have been experienced the tension exactly where my thyroid gland and parathyroid gland.  You have no idea how much I regret having allowed the dentist’s dental assistant to take the panoramic x-ray.  The x-rays obviously do greater damage than those in the health professions and those who stand to profit from the sale and use of the panoramic machines would like us to believe.  Incidentally, when this past Tuesday, I went into my dentist office, I did not have any tooth pain, much less any of the symptoms I have just mentioned having to the panoramic x-ray done of my mouth.  Those looking to blame your headache on your tooth are misguiding you.  My experience tells me that the radiation exposure of a panoramic x-ray is significant and dangerous;  that the radiation obviously damages the cells of tissues, including nerves;  that panoramic x-rays should be avoided.  My advice to those who ademantly disagree is “Get one or two panoramic x-ray.s and then comment.”  I feel certain that if the first doesn’t wake them up, the second will.  I hope you, I, and anyone else in our predicament gets well though I’m not very optimistic.  I do not think the damage done is reversible.  I am sorry to end on such a sad note.

Carlos Gavila
CARLOS, why did you go to the dentist?  Did you have any other work done at the dentist besides the panoramic X-ray?  If you had your teeth cleaned while you were there, that can make the tension you refer to, as you have to sit there for quite a while with your mouth fully open.  Or if you went to the dentist other than for a normal teeth-cleaning, let's say you had a broken tooth or an abscess, then just about any part of that routine is going to make you sore in the head, from the numbing injection, to the pain from the procedure, to the infection that may be released from whatever was wrong with your teeth.

You say the rads of a panoramic X-ray is "significant and dangerous," but perhaps you are thinking of other X-ray machines for the body, like the CT scan, for example, which is a whole-body scanner in the ER, that gives off a huge dose of radiation.  But for the radiation that comes out of those mouth machines, which were invented in the 1980s and have commonly been in dental offices for around 15 or more years, is 1/70th of what it would take to reach a body's limit for the year.  In other words, you'd have to have a panaramic X-ray every single week to even come close to your limit of rads.  Most dental places only use it as a baseline, and perhaps again in five years or so, if at all.

The tension you are feeling in your head and neck area simply must be likely from another reason than the panoramic X-ray, because after all, for a pan, you just stand there, with a plastic gizmo to hold your head still, which is a part that goes under the chin and another part that you hold onto with your mouth, and the machine goes around in a semicircle while you stay still, taking only a minute or two, and you're done.

You know, I'm sorry I'm questioning you and calling what you say into doubt, because I'm a layperson just like you are, and you have every right to tell us your experience, but the thing of it is, a visit to a dentist can cause untold misery, but a panorama X-ray is not one of the reasons why you would be miserable.  You posted six days ago now, so do let us know how that tension is in your head and neck.  And if you can think of another event that took place in the dental offices besides just X-rays, tell us about that, too.  Also, the person you wrote you post to, he posted in 2010.  GG  
I just received the panorex X-Ray and was consciously attempting to notice subtle changes in feeling after it was done. They had to do two scans back to back because the attendant messed up the first time. When I stood up, it felt like I just got off the batman roller coaster/gravitron carnival ride. I instantly knew that this was not normal whatsoever. I had not received any dental work yet and was cognizant of the fact that something was different in my head. After the dental work was complete and the numbing wore off, literally the only issue that persisted was that warm almost electrical pressure I felt directly after the panorex scan. I got home & researched radiation detox and discovered green goodness which has decent amounts of Spirulina and Chlorella. This is said to help the body protect/detox from abnormal amounts of radiation. Coconut oil is another healing agent. I am aware of truth resonance, and a large machine that utilizes radiation to penetrate your skull for imaging purposes does not resonate as healthy. I don't regret the decision to have the X-ray performed because this knowledge that will help move humanity forward is more beneficial. However, I do not feel that Panorex or X-rays in general, are a wise/healthy choice for others to make unless your life or well being is at stake. Everything that needed to be done could have been done w/ out X-rays. Carlos I empathize with you on this issue and to all that may read this, wish us luck and I hope it helps.
-RowLow
I had a panoramic x-ray two months ago and i still have dizziness and mild headaches, besides the assistant had a mistake and I she took a volume first, before the panoramic. I did several research by internet and i found that the dental x-ray are dangerous.

I advise to avoid any type of radiation, also because some doctors, dentists usually send unnecessary exams, many because each test that the patient take, means an economic income.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm095505.htm