Neurology Expert Forum
Papilledema and MRI's

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Papilledema and MRI's

When I went in for a routine eye exam, I was having vision problems with my left eye. Afer dialation, it showed that i had swelling behind my left eye. The opthamologist I was referred to said that I had papilledema. My pcp wanted me to get an MRI before going to the neurologist. I got the MRI and it came out "normal." But instead of sending me to the neurologist, my pcp ordered an MRI of the orbits. Why?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Your primary doctor is probably trying to find out why you are having papilledema. An MRI of the brain has set widths at which is obtains an image. It is possible that the MRI may only get a portion of the orbits given the width at which it is obtaining the images. When an MRI is ordered of the orbits, the width at which it obtains the images is narrower. This will allow for a more detail evaluation.

Do you have a headache with the papilledema? You should continue working with your ophthalmologist and primary care physician. Depending on what they think is the cause of the papilledema will determine who you should follow up with (e.g., neurology).

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.