Neurology Expert Forum
Parkinsons symptoms but not parkinsons

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Parkinsons symptoms but not parkinsons

My wife developed Parkinson'a like symptoms in 1995 which were in fact diagnosed as Parkinson's.  At this date she has deteriated terribly  but a recent MRI Brain Scan shows what was discribed as metallic like particles in her brain.  Doctors now feel it is not Parkinsons or Alzheimers but I was questioned about her Myleogram in 1993 just before symptoms appeared.  Symptoms now are, extreme loss of memory, confusion, imbalance, general feebleness.  Are there cases of myleograms causing damage to the brain?  Desparate! Thanks.
=
A connection between the myelogram and your wife's parkinsonism seems unlikely.
Rapid progression of parkinsonism is usually a clue that the cause of symptoms is not Parkinson's disease itself. There are a few PD look-alikes which also happen to be degenerative diseases. In PD, the gradual loss of cells (degenerative process) occurs in a particular pattern or distribution in the brain. In the other parkinsonian diseases, the pattern of cell loss and the appearance of brain under the microscope is a bit different, and we have names for a few of these diseases.
If memory loss is "extreme," I would look into one called Diffuse Lewy Body disease (DLBD). It's also called Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB). Ask your doctor about this, or see a movement disorders specialist who can give you an idea about whether this might be the diagnosis. As you know, it is impossible for me to provide a specific diagnosis in this format.
While there are recognized complications and side effects of myelograms, I am unaware of any late changes which might produce parkinsonism. I don't know how to interpret the MRI report of "metallic particles." Any specific comment about that would require seeing the actual films and matching the findings to your wife's specific clinical appearance.
If you wish to consult a movement disorders specialist here, you are welcome to call 800 223-2273 and ask for neurology appointments at 4-5559. I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.

A related discussion, parkinson like symptons was started.