Neurology Community
Pedicle screws have broke - worse pain of life

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a decompression, pedicle screw placement at L5-S1 and and fusiion done in March of 2005.  I have never been able to hold a regular job since, however I was able to function enough to care for myself and children.  I recently felt a "pop" and fell to the ground (as if my left leg was non-existant).  I went the following Monday to the DR when pain continued to get worse in left buttock, hip and horrible pain in left leg.  The X-Ray showed that the screws had broke.  Family DR was immediately concerned, I can not lay down, sit for more than a min, stand for minute maybe without moving, and he referred me to a Surgeon that week.
After meeting with Surgeon for less than 2 min, I asked him question about the risk of the rod where it is located now and he said"let me get the films and show you what we are looking at". He never returned to room, instead nurse came in and sent me for an MRI and CT.  I called next day and was told he was in surgery and would have to wait until Mon or Tue to hear (tests were on Thur).  I got a call at 4:30 pm Monday and nurse said "This is Anne from XXX office, he looked at your films and wanted me to let you know "HE IS NOT YOUR GUY"".  Stunned, I said What does that mean? Can I come in and talk about what they showed so I understand.  She said "HE IS NOT YOUR GUY" no need for follow up and disconnected the call.
I live in a small town and drove 3 hours to see this surgeon.  I am confused.  The next day, I drove another hour away (total of 4) from home to where the surgeon that did initial surgery is.  I called to see if I could get in to see him right away - was told he is in the ER today on call - go there in afternoon and have your tests sent there from first surgeon and he will be in to give you a consult.  He got out of surgery, I was told he was reviewing my films and will be right in.  A half hour later, ER Dr. came in and said I am sorry, he went home.  WHAT???  He says if you come to clinic at 8:30 am he will see you right away. I waited in ER and got billed for trip there to not even see the DR.
I got to his clinic this am at 8:20 - at 9:30 I overheard her say that he was not coming in this morning to another patient.  When I asked them, they said, well we called your home (again 4 hours away from home) and told you not to come until later.  I was so upset, I asked them for my records and was leaving.  THEY REFUSED to give me my medical records.  All of my family are convinced the XXX surgeon did not want to get involved and the surgeon that did original surgery is avoiding me like the plague.  I still have no idea what the MRI showed or the CT and am in more pain than I have ever been in.  I want to walk, I will never be able to support myself again, why are they not at least telling me what the tests showed?  What do I do now?  Family telling me to get an attorney, I want a damn doctor to help me, then I will figure out how to deal with them if needed.  Please help me.
Ang  
Avatar n tn
OH and I am only 40 years old.  
Avatar dr m tn
I think whatever happened to you was more coincedental.
The surgeon who told through his nurse should have met you once and conveyed to you that you should go to so an so facility and he is not experieced to do this surgery.
The Primary surgeon you went might be busy with something.
There are specialists for everything and to do this delicate surgery you should go to a good facility and get yourself admitted.
In small towns and villages there is a huge problem and most of the people are not aware about small town/village people and the difficulties you face and you should explain about your side of situation.
I am very clear about whatever you have conveyed and your problem can be corrected in a good facility and you should go for it.
Take care!
Avatar n tn
What bothers me the most is that I went to the big city where it was done.  The surgeon that did the surgery was there in the hospital and was ON CALL, I was told to see him there, I know he is buzy, but, he was right there and DID come down and look at the report, all he had to do was walk into the room and tell me what it showed.  The ER dr spoke to him directly and he said I am going home. I am being billed for a ER visit and for seeing an ER DR that was able to tell me nothing and said it was not his specialty.
How can they refuse to give me a copy of the dictation and medical records.
The surgeon that had his nurse call me was not a run of the mill guy - he is a very well known surgeon in SIoux Falls,SD.
Because I do live in a small town, that is why they send me to a good facility four hours away from home.  I spent a week there, and am not any closer to knowing what is wrong than I was on day one.