Neurology Community
Peripheral neuropathy from plastic fumes?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Peripheral neuropathy from plastic fumes?

A few years ago I think I might have been exposed to toxic plastic fumes.  The plastics involved were ABS and polystyrene, both of which are composed of monomers (styrene, acrylonitrile, butadiene) that supposedly can cause peripheral neuropathy.  Ever since about the time of when I think I was exposed to these fumes, I noticed a lack of feeling in my penis along with sexual anhedonia.  I also have visual disturbances (polyopia / multiple images), which began sometime after I was potentially exposed to the fumes, though I am not sure exactly when.  I have read that exposure to ABS fumes can cause visual distortions.

My question is, how likely is it that exposure to plastic fumes caused my sexual numbness?  I am aware that plastic fumes can cause peripheral neuropathy, which can cause sexual anhedonia.  I haven't really noticed any other numbness in my body, though I do have trouble emptying my bladder completely.  

I have also been suffering from depression and anxiety, and have taken antidepressants.  I have read that sexual anhedonia/numbness can be caused by psychological illness, and also that neuropathy can be caused by taking antidepressants.

Can anyone here shed some light on what's going on with me?

Does neuropathy from plastic fumes result in numbness (since I know there are various types of neuropathy)?

Is there treatment for non-psychological sexual anhedonia?

Should the plastic fumes have caused any other symptoms which I should have noticed by now?

Is it even reasonable that plastic fumes caused my penile numbness and vision problems?

Any information at all would be really helpful.  Thanks.