Neurology Expert Forum
Peroneal nerve Damage & Foot Drop

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Peroneal nerve Damage & Foot Drop

Hi All,
I am really hoping that someone can help me as this forum.
My girlfriend came to Dubai on holiday and was in a car accident, which fractured her left hip socket, resulting in sciatic nerve plasy.  There appears to have been no operation to nerves as per medical report, but she has had a EMG,ENG & nerve conduction study with the following results:

Normal distal motor latency, conduction velocity with severely reduced EMR amplitude for left peroneal nerve
Normal motor conduction studies for bilateral tibial nerves
Normal motor conduction velocity with slightly reduced EMR amplitude for Right peroneal nerve
Normal Response latencies for bilateral deep peroneal nerve but severely reduced EMR amplitude on the Left
Delayed F-wave latency for Left peroneal Nerve (normal for Right)
Needle EMG for left tib: Anterior muscles showed no sponteneous or volitional activities.

Comments: EMG and nerve conduction study results show evidence for severe injury to left peroneal nerve proximally. There is no evidence of left lumbosacral plexopathy or L5 radioculopathy.

Physically she has foot drop, numbness to her anterior mucles/foot. She can only move here toes slightly downwards.
She is on crutches and all she was given post-discharge was a standard preformed foot drop splint (which she was told only to wear at night) and some gauze tied into a rope to do what I think are 'towel pull exercises'.

The doctors telling us different periods of recovery and the medical report just says she may need surgery later on, with no indication of type/duration.

To make matters worse we have to put togther a claim list for the insurance company, but I have no idea when for example she will be able to walk without crutches and go back to work or even what possible future operations/phisio she may need. Also what sort of specialist do I need to speak to? Neurologist?

Can any of you please advise on anything you think may help?

many thanks in advance
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is difficult to say what the course of recovery will be. It will depend on her physical therapy and progress with it. It may also be necessary to repeat the EMG/NCS to evaluate for improvement or no change or worsening.

I would suggest that she follow up with a neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular medicine to evaluate and monitor. She will also need to continue with occupational and physical therapy.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.