Neurology Community
Persistent localized headache/strange feeling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

So for close to a year now I've had strange head pain in the same place accompanied by a strange feeling of everything not being real. It began on a very stressful day for me, so for a while I ignored it, but it hasn't gone away. The head pain is brief, and not terrible, but persistent. A day has not gone by since last August (2011) that I haven't felt something in the right front side of my head. I went to the ER and had a CT scan (not an MRI), where they confirmed that I didn't have any large masses, which I assume would rule out a tumor (the reading came back as "normal brain scan" from the radiologist). This does not rule out an unruptured aneurysm, but everything I can find about those indicated that they're almost asymptomatic until they're about to rupture, which presumably would have already happened. The feeling that goes along with it is almost like I can't wake up, like nothing is real and my voice sounds strange to me, as do other people's. I haven't noticed any neurological impairments like numbness or drooping eyelids, just a strange feeling the is hard to describe. Nothing feels quite real, which is very disconcerting, especially since I work nights alone and I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to pass out or die or something (granted, an over-reaction, but not knowing what is wrong is freaky). The head pain is brief, kind of like an ice-pick headache, but not excruciating. It travels a little, but always stays in the right front part of my head. I would be willing to dismiss it as stress-related, but the fact that it never goes away completely and the fact that the pain is always in the same place tells me that it's something more serious than a stress headache.

Any knowledge/advice on this would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there and welcome to the medhelp forum. I can understand what you are going through now. the various possible causes for a persistent, unilateral frontal headache could be a tension headache, secondary to frontal sinusitis if you are having concomitant upper respiratory tract infection symptoms like runny nose, cough with secretions too. This may be the classical migraine, try to look for any inciting agents or conditions, any associated subjective feelings, intracranial neoplasm which need to be checked up on an MRI brain which is more sensitive than a CT. consult a physician with all these contentions, he would also check you for hypertension or refractive errors. You could take an over the counter NSAID in the meanwhile if the pain is distressing. Wishing you all the best.
I have this too! Except I would get the strange feeling then get really "heavy" then fall. But the sound distortion thing and weird almost scary feeling is exactly the same like everything isn't real and is far away. They still don't know what mine is.
How long have you had it?
Thank you very much for the information. It's good to know that it may be something easily remedied.
it started in October (2011). So over 6 months. They thought it was seizures and did an EEG but it's not. Apparently it's not migraines either. It is also not inner ear, or blood vessel related. (I've been tested for all of these). All blood work is completely normal.

There is a thing called daily chronic headaches you might want to look into it. Also cluster headaches. I would say go see a neurologist they deal with headaches not just seizures and tumors and whatnot.

You also might want to see if it is TMJ related. Apparently that can cause all sorts of weird symptoms - sound distortion might be one of them? Because the muscle goes right over your ear. That is just my opinion though I don't know for sure.
I wondered about TMJ or maybe a sinus issue. The only thing that makes me think that it isn't either of those things is the fact that the majority ofmy symptoms are in one area of my head. I suppose I should check it out just the same though. I would happily accept either of those things over something more serious! Thanks again for your input.
well alot of people only have problems with one side of the the jaw not both sides which would cause your pain to just be on that side.