Neurology Expert Forum
Persitent Dry Cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Persitent Dry Cough

I've had a dry cough for almost 4 weeks.  Breathing tickles a seemingly specific area in my throat/upper lungs (hard to determine but it is always the same spot) and causes me to cough.  Sometimes violently.  Sometimes the 'tickle' is satisfied... for a while.  Sometimes it is not.  In the beginning, I had flu-like symptoms of general aches but they passed quickly.  Only the cough remains, day and night, no better, no worse.  

Though my lungs and throat are sore and I'm tired from a lack of sleep, all due to the coughing, I seem to have had no other symptoms until yesterday.  A sharp, stabbing pain has begun just under my left shoulder blade.  The pain only appears when coughing and in certain positions, otherwise it is fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Nathan

Dear Nathan:

Sorry that your having your symptoms.  I can't comment much on the coughing, sounds like irritation but one needs to look at the throat.  The pain sounds like it is coming as a result of a musculoskeletal problem (either muscle strain from the coughing action, or inflammation of the rib joint near the shoulder).  It should resolve with the cough.  Maybe an anti-inflammatory medication such as advil or the like may help.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Hi Nathan,

What you have sounds like it might be walking pneumonia to me. I would go to your primary care physician an get it evaluated. I think a chest x-ray is in order for a cough that has lasted that long.

Judy

Dear Nathan,                                                   Your cough sounds like TB, I am born in Amsterdam and after world war two mine brother uncle and to many to count had your symtoms (symptoms). The end result was THEY  all had TB. Yes even me had your symtoms (symptoms) -since the halve of mne famiy got so much attention, they thought,"I imitated them for attention. Many people from world war two survived, without knowing they had TB. All I have left over is an old TB scar. Hurry and have that simple Xray taken. God luck, Alida
Had a cough similar( very )  to yours. Codiene phos tabs helped but didn't eliminate. Sent to respiratory specialist and had an ultrasound done. nothing was found. coughed through doctor appointments ,lung pressure tests,even the ultrasound and mri. cough lasted continously for almost a year.then it started slowing down and eventually stopped. I smoke, continued to smoke and still do. From my experience unless they find a known cause for your ailment I believe it will dissappear. But get all tests done as I did.  Doctor advised sometimes these things happen and can't be explained  Good Luck  Jay
I had a terrible dry non-productive cough for no apparent reason.  I was taking Monopril (to lower blood pressure)...so on a hunch I checked
the drug maker who noted that the druig works on the same area of the brain as that used to cough.  I stopped taking Monopril.
No more cough.  Who knows.  Hope this is helpful.  I strongly advise anyone reading this not to stop taking this drug without
talking to a doctor and I note that Monopril's maker was most helpful.  

tony.