Neurology Expert Forum
Pet scan

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pet scan

Hello. I am a male with a history of an electrical injury. I have devoloped many symptoms since this time and am sure this shock has compromised my health. Anyway, I've been seeing a doctor and I had a PET scan done which came back abnormal. My question is this. How reliable a test is the PET scan test? I did read somewhere on the internet that PET are not reliable. Is this a true statement? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jim
Depends on what you're looking for. It can be very helpful for diseases such as parkinson's syndromes, neurodegenerative diseases, brain tumors in the setting of radiation changes, epilepsy, and brain injury.  However, unless there's a particular question that the physician has in mind before getting the test, a minor or non specific abnormality on the PET scan that doesn't correlate with the clinical findings sometimes doesn't really mean anything and often times is unhelpful for the physician (and the patient).  This of course doesn't mean that it's not a reliable test when used in the proper setting such as those diseases I described above. We just have to take the results with a grain of salt if we are unsure of its diagnostic relevance to the case. Hope that helps.