Neurology Community
Phrenic Nerve Transplant

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Phrenic Nerve Transplant

My phrenic nerve was damaged during cyroablation in my heart in Feb. of 2013 to correct minor tachycardia.  The cure was worse than condition.  I now have a paralyzed right hemidiaphragm.  My surgery was preformed by a highly rated, board certified cardiac Eletrophysiologist  (MD, PhD, FACC,FHRS).  He has apologized for making the mistake and told me there is nothing I can do but hope that someday the nerve grows back.

I understand that there are phrenic nerve transplants going on.

Who and where can I contact to see if I might be a candidate?

Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  Nerve reconstruction and nerve transplant for phrenic nerve is still under clinical trial and to the best of my knowledge is available only in select centers registered for clinical trials for this.
You can make a general google search regarding clinical trials for phrenic nerve reconstruction and or phrenic nerve transplant and see what information comes up. Generally the name of the centers and contact information is available.
You could also ask your GP or neurologist to help you in this search. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
This happened to me during open-heart surgery.  In my case, it was the left phrenic nerve that was damaged and the left hemidiaphragm that ended up paralyzed.  The doctors told me that the nerve would not regenerate and that the only option I had was to undergo a plication procedure on the diaphragm.  My cardiologist advised against plication, stating that the outcome of it is not usually very impressive.  I didn't want any more surgery, so I did nothing, figuring I could live with the problem.  A few years later, I noticed that I was no longer short of breath, and now (10 years later) it's as if nothing happened.  The doctors can hear breath sounds in the lower part of my left lung, where the breath sounds were absent.  I take it the nerve did regenerate.  If your nerve was only injured and not totally ablated, it has a good chance of healing, but it's a very slow process.  I think you can expect it to take at least three or four years before you see any noticeable progress at all.  The other thing that might happen is that you could get accommodated to the problem in such a way that it does not bother you.  That will take time, also.  Bottom line, I would wait a while, before I volunteered for any more "procedures."  That's just my two cents, from one who's been there.  Good luck.