Neurology Community
Phrenic nerve damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Phrenic nerve damage

I had an accidental severance of my superior vena cava during leadwire extraction. My phrenic nerve was damaged and the right diaphragm is paralyised. We are unsure if it is severed or damaged. I am very symtomatic with this. My general practioner says he believes a neurologist my be able to help. He does not know of any place that specializes in this. He referred me to the best neurologist he knows in this area. I am willing to travel anywhere to receive relief. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help!
Michelle
Hello.

There is always a risk of damage to the phrenic nerve during mediastinal surgeries. What is more important now is to prevent further complications from paralysis of the diaphragm.

When one part of the diaphragm is paralyzed, the abdominal contents (organs) tend to push it easily upwards into the chest. This is especially when you are lying flat.

The paralyzed part can be surgically fixed so that the diaphragm is not pushed up. You will also have to take extra care of the respiratory system. There is going to be a reduced oxygen supply to some parts.

Regards

Thank you for your response!
Do you know anything about the phrenic nerve grafting? Pros? Cons? The new process of grafting without a thoracotomy? Nerve grafting for diaphragm paralysis verses plication? I am searching everywhere for a solution to my problem and would greatly appreciate your views on these procedures!
Thanks again!
Hello.

I am not sure if you found this article. They have reported a successful phrenic nerve grafting. This article also discusses the benefits over plication.

http://mmp.cjp.com/pipermail/openheart-l/2005-November/004495.html

Regards
Again, Thank you for your information! I read the information you directed me to, decided to have the nerve grafted, then the pulmonologist told me that this diaphramatic paralysis would not cause the oxygen drops, fluid in my lung, and pluerisy. He sent me back to the cardiologist for an echo. It showed 2 holes in my heart that was shunting a lot of blood. I then completed a TEE and was then told that I only have a PFO and he recommended nothing other than an aspirin a day. He suggested it was the phrenic nerve issue again.
I honestly believe the pluerisy is from the open heart surgery. I have a hard time healing bones. But this does not explain why at 7 months after surgery I am having oxygen level dropping on exertion and fluid in my lungs and shortness of breath. BTW...when I say exertion I mean walking across the room at a regular pace. Where do I go from here? Who do I ask to help me? I am 38. I should not be setting at home on oxygen!!! Please understand I am not asking you to diagnose but asking for a direction.

Thank you!
Chelle
I AM HAVING A DIAPHRAMATIC PLICATION ON MONDAY 5/12 COULD YOU RELATE TO ME WHAT I SHOULD EXPECT. MY SURGEON AND PULMONOLUGIST HAS BEEN THOROUGH WITH INFORMATION BUT I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO TELL ME AN ACTUAL CASE AND WHAT TO EXPECT UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS. I AM 65 YRS OLD AND 2/3 OF DIAPHRAM IS PARAYLIZED. MY GEN'L HEALTH IS NOT GREAT DUE TO CROHNS AND A SIGMOID COLOSTOMY AND COLECTOMY,WHICH I HAD IN 2004 AND 2005 I THEN HAD BLOCKAGE SURGERY IN 2005 AND EXPLORATORY BOWEL SURGERY IN JUNE OF 2006 AT THAT TIME THEY FOUND THE SMALL BOWEL WAS ATTACHED TO MY PELVIC BONE WHICH WAS SEPERATED WITHOUT DAMAGE ,I HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH CHRONIC LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN I TAKE UP TO 14 30MG MSIR A DAY FOR ONE YEAR.
I am a 29 yr old female.  In March I had a left thoracotomy with mass removal that was located in the mediastinum.  The biopsy came back okay.  After surgery I had complications of fluid build up on the lung, which was drained.  I have also had puenomonia 3 times since surgey.  After 5 months of pain and extreme shortness of breath, I was told I have a paralyzed partial hemidiaphram on the left side.  

My surgeon and the pulmonologist are both telling me that the nerve was not damaged during surgery. No one will explain to me what caused this to happen.  The pulmonologist is having me do pulmonary rehab 3 times/week for the next 6 months.  They say there is no way to cure this, so I can only learn ways to manage the shortness of breath.  I require CPAP at night, not from apenia, but because of the paralyzed diaphram.

My question is, can this happen out of the blue with no damage done to the nerve in surgery?  Also is rehab my best bet, or should I look into surgery.  I have went to two pulmonologists, who both state it was not caused by the surgery.  But they are good friends with the surgeon, so I don't know what to believe.

Any help or guidence will be greatly appreciated.  I want to get my quality of life back.  Right now, I suffer from shortness of breath, extreme fatigue after being awake a few hours.  I find it hard to do normal household duties.  I can't take stairs or carry my children.  I would just like to find some relief.
I'm a 56 year old male, who was very active in sports and the gym. I played 4 softball games a week, worked out with weights 5 times a week for an intense 45 minutes. I would jog 4to 5 miles twice a week. Now all of a sudden out of nowhere I have a paralyzed diaphragm. My pulmionary Dr. tells me I will be ok in about a year to 18 months. I cant even jog 10 seconds and I'm out of breath. Lifting heavy weights is impossible. Is there any exersise I can do to get it working sooner? They say it was caused from my frenic nerve, caused by a virual infection I had from my sinuses.
i have same athletic background and cannot walk 5 yards without stopping
After Rotator Cuff surgery I ended up with a collapsed lung because of damage to the Phrenic Nerve and they did the Sniff test to confirm it. I am 73 year old woman and I would like to know what can be done to help with my shortness of breath and weakness? Will I have to live the rest of my life with this problem?
Is there anything that can be done to help with Peripheral Neuropathy in my feet were they are numb, stiff, and sore, and hard to walk on. I am not a diabetic but I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia  20 years ago and I have been doings B-12 shots every month for 20 years.