Neurology Expert Forum
Pin Prick Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pin Prick Pain

Several times a week, I experience a sudden pain as if I were pricked with a needle.  It feels so real that I jump from the sensation.  It feels no diffferent than if I were actually pricked.  This goes back for as long as I can remember.  It used to be primarily in the extremites, my toes and fingers, but now I notice it can appear anywhere, although I can't remember it ever happening to my head.  I've mentioned this to my physician, however it was just dismissed, since it wasn't severe.  I wonder if this could be a symptom or first signs of something that could develop into something else.
There is a condition called icepick headache in which there are sudden sharp stabbing pains in the head that last for only a few moments and then go away, but typically that's confined to the head region which is spared in your case. If it was just in your distal extremities (hands and feet), a peripheral neuropathy would be consideration.  But if you're getting them all over (I'm assuming you mean your trunk and back) that makes localization to one particular region of the nervous system more difficult. If the pains persist or worsen, then consider seeing someone for a formal exam just to make sure everything is ok and that there are no easily correctable causes such as vitamin deficiencies or electrolyte disorders. Finally, anxiety or stress can sometimes manifest with vague neurological symptoms. GOod luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Alannagh was started.
A related discussion, pin point pain in eye was started.