Pinched Nerve and Muscle Spasm
In the beginning of February I started to experience back pain. Between my spine and shoulder blade area on my right side. The slightest jolt would take my breath away. In the last three days  the pain then started to radiate around my right breast and it hurt to breath and I had a stiff neck. Only being able to look to the left. No the pain in the base of my head is incredible. I'm having a hard time swallowing,I cant lay back, the area below my occipital is very sensitive to the touch. I went to the ER and without doing any test said it looked like a pinched nerve with a muscle spasm. They gave me a shot of valium which made me more comfortable and able to sleep with my head back. But now 24 hrs later I agian cant lay back and when I do fall asleep (due to the valium script) the newest sympton is -my neck feels like its twitching as I sleep causing me to wake up from the incredible pain. I havent seen my primary  yet and cant for another 2 days. Can a pinched nerve cause so much pain??
Thanks for any and all help
Yes, a pinched nerve can cause great pain. Did anyone x-ray your spine? If you do not have a herniated disk and merely a minor dislocation a chiropractor can help you. Just make sure first that there is no serious injury. A good chiropractor will take an x-ray before attempting to treat you.
Hi there. This could be a pinched nerve causing the severe positional pain and muscle spasm. Cervical spine MRI needs to be done to rule out any disc degeneration, prolapse causing these symptoms. Twitching, the latest symptoms needs to be considered and you need to be investigated for multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia. Apart from clinical neurological examination MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination , two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain location. spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis  reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons transmit nerve signals slower than non demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked  potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Take care.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm going for an MRI tomorrow. So, one more night of sleeping face down in a pillow on the kitchen table!!!

Thanks again,
Suzy
Thank you. At least now I'll know what they will be looking for.
Scary but informative- Thank you.
suzy11772