Neurology Community
Pinched Nerve or something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pinched Nerve or something else?

I have had pain in my right hand now for about 6 weeks.  My little finger and ring finger are almost numb.  By that I mean that they have that pins and needles feeling al the time.  My neck has no pain at all, it is only in my last two fingers on my right hand.  I have had an EMG done and that didn't really show the Dr. much I guess.  He had me get an MRI of my brain done to rule out MS.  The nubers collected by the EMG could not tell the Dr. what really was causing my pain.  It has gotten worse as time goes on.  The Dr. has also rule out capular tunnel as a cause of this pain.  Any ideas as to what may be causing this?
Hi, probably this is ulnar nerve entrapment at the level of elbow joint which is causing numbness. Please get yourself investigated for that and do consult neurosurgeon.

“Compression at the elbow, known as cubital tunnel syndrome, causes numbness in the small finger, half of the ring finger, and the back half of the hand over the small finger. Initially, the numbness is transient and usually occurs in the middle of the night or in the morning. Most cases will be minor and tend to come and go with time. Common causes are sleeping with the arm folded up, so the hand is at the person's neck and the elbow is sharply bent. These people frequently wake up with tingling in the fingers, because the nerve has been pinched or squeezed while asleep”. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment
Hi there!

Your doctor's considerations on what might be causing your pain are all valid and reasonable.  Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause some fingers to go numb and go painful.  The ulnar nerve, like what bhups1 mentioned is also a consideration since the ring and little fingers are the one's being supplied by this nerve.  The ulnar nerve can be compressed at different points including the spine, axilla, 1st rib, or at the elbow area.

I agree that a neurosurgical consult may be warranted after you had your MRI.  I hope this annoying condition leave you soon.  Be sure to get a good explanation with every doctor that you've made consult to.  

God bless and regards...