Pinched Nerve
I recently suffered a pinched nerve in my neck (C-6/C-7 vertabrae) after x-rays and MRI- it was a detemined I have a bulging disk.  After 6 weeks of solid rehab all my symptoms have gone away. Unfortunately, the strength in my right tricep has not returned. My GP and Ortho say that the bulging disk has cut off the neuorogical signals to the muscle and are suggesting I have surgery to relieve the pressure on that nerve. It's been 10 weeks. Are there any less riskly options ?
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally pain/muscle weakness in the arm, shoulder and back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine since the nerves that supply these areas start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of pain/muscle weakness aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries that causes disc bulge and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  If you suffer continuous pain, muscle weakness/reduced strength, numbness at these areas, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!