Neurology Expert Forum
Pinched Nerve

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pinched Nerve

Arthritis/Pinched Nerve?  In neck  Dizzy when I am on my feet.  [past hour]  No Nausea or pain.What could it be.?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

As you know, dizziness can have many causes. Vertigo, or "room-spinning dizziness" can be caused by several different types of inner ear problems and less commonly from central nervous system diseases. Cervical disease (such as a herniated disc in the cervical (neck) region or arthritis of the spine) can cause vertigo, though this is not common. More often, the dizziness arising from neck problems is not room-spinning per se but rather a wooziness or sort of light-headed dizziness. I will refer to this as cervicogenic dizziness. This notion of cervicogenic dizziness is not accepted by all medical practioners, it is controversial, as it is not well researched, difficult to diagnose, and difficult to conduct research on. However, it may be diagnosed in someone with neck pathology and dizziness in which no other cause is found. Therefore, it is a diagnosis of exclusion, after inner-ear and brain problems are excluded.

Patients with dizziness due to neck pathology (cervicogenic dizziness) often complain of dizziness that is worse with particular head movements and when the head is maintained in one specific posture for prolonged periods. Neck pain and a headache in the occipital region (the back of the head above the neck) may be associated with the dizziness. The dizziness may last minutes to hours after assuming certain head positions. Imaging of the neck is often indicated, and treatment is usually with  neck physical therapy, unless a structural lesion that requires surgery is found on neck imaging.

Other causes of vertigo can include inner ear problems, of which there are a variety including Menniere's disease (which is marked by episodes of vertigo, ear-ringing (tinnitus) and hearing loss), Benign positional vertigo (BPPV) which is marked by episodes of vertigo brought on by head movement, brain tumors (this would be apparent on MRI), certain toxic drugs (specific medications), neuropathy, and certain infections.

Evaluation by your primary doctor/family physician is recommended. After he/she obtains a history and conducts a full examination, he/she can better determine what the potential source of your dizziness is and order tests accordingly with referral to specialists (neurologist vs. ENT) as indicated.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.