Neurology Community
Pinched nerve treatment C6, C7

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pinched nerve treatment C6, C7

I am a 40 year old male with severe pain in my neck, shoulder, armpit, bicep, tricep, all the way down to my little finger, or sometimes between my thumb and index finger.

After a nerve conduction test by a neurologist I was told it was likely I had a pinched nerve between C6 and C7.  I have had X-rays, but not an MRI.  MRI is supposed to happen soon, once the HMO grants me an indulgence.

I have been going to physical therapy for two weeks.  The neck traction machine helps some, but not enough.  I don't know that the various exercises and stretches do anything helpful, but I am doing them.

I have considered going to a chiropractor.  Is this likely to help?  I am tired of taking drugs all the time (neurontin, hydrocodone, ibuprofen, cyclobenzeprene).

The neurologist says surgery is the only option if it doesn't get better.  What does surgery do?

How long does it take for a pinched nerve to heal on it's own?  How long before I should accept that it isn't going to get better through non-surgical methods?

Thanks for listening,

Lifespeed
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Physical exercise or therapy should always be done under medical supervision and you have to learn all the exercises near a physiotherapist and do them earnestly.
You should follow a specific neurologist/physiotherapist  and a neurosurgeon for these types of cases.
Patience and proper line of treatment is required. Remember you have your spinal nerve compressed and this nerve supplies to all the places you are complaining of pain.
Please take the medications as advised for time being.
Please consult a good neurosurgeon to get yourself operated if these things do not help.
Take care! and with surgery you will recover
I'm not a doctor, so this is my laymens position.

I have a moderately compressed c7 and symptoms of numbness, tingling, weakness in both arms.  I've been to a chiropractor, accupuncture, 2 PTs, massage therapy, ortho, etc. and each one has different treatments and opinions, so I learned to try each one out and trust what my body is telling me. What I've found to help most so far is stretching and massage therapy on my upper back / neck. Pain medications have done nothing. The Chiro helped while I was going, but it seemed like once I stopped going the help stopped too, and it ain't cheap to go to chiro regularly. Additionaly, I found wearing shoe insoles helped.
I am having chiropractic treatment and it is fabulous - you mUST find a good practitioner though. Use recommendations if you can. Analgesia does not work, but ice packs and heat packs do sooth. good luck
Give it 3 months of conservative treatment. Make appts at month 2 for highly reccomended neurosurgeons or orthopedic spinal; specialists because the wait may be long and you can always cancel if you get better. Get 2-3 opinions and put it together and pick the right surgeon. Ask how many of the ACDF"S they have done, compications in general and complications they have seen. Heat and rest worked the best for me and I did have ACDF surgery 6 months ago.
i was told i had a pinched nerve by a friend & have researched it & i seem 2 b suffering with c6 pain. I mean it felt like my head was 2 big 4 my shoulders 2 support.
i made sure my comment posted. But that pain is unlike any i have ever had. Ive had 2 children 1 of them naturally & never has my pain been that great. I have never never taken pain pills & im 45 i found myself bummin sum off friends. My god how do ppl live with that?