Neurology Community
Pinching or feeling that ants are crawling all over your body
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pinching or feeling that ants are crawling all over your body

Hello, my 82 year old mother had been having episodes of feeling like ants are crawling all over her and/or feeling of being pinched all over.  These epidodes happen a few times a day but mainly in the morning and last for a minute.  She has HBP and high cholesterol both under control by medication.  She has no other symptoms except for some pain in her lower back. Sh saw her PCP yesterday and had blood work done.  Her doctor also ordered an EKG as well as a CT scan (w/o contrast).  What could possibly be the cause of this?  Thank you.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi

How are you doing?
The feeling of ants crawling or pinching all over may be indicative of paresthesia. Paresthesia is an uncomfortable sensation of numbness or pins and needles (tingling or prickling) crawling, or itching, usually felt in the hands, arms, legs or feet. An occasional paresthesia generally has no long-term consequences. It may be due to awkward position of limbs while sleeping, leading to pressure against the nerves or reduced blood supply locally.

However, if persistent, it may indicate nerve damage or certain disorders of the central nervous system  such as stroke and transient ischemic attacks (TIA),  multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, encephalitis, tumour, alcoholism, carpal tunnel syndrome hypothyroidism, medications, or vitamin B12 deficiency, to name a few. Your mother should consult a doctor for complete physical examination.
Based on medical history, physical examination, and some tests a diagnosis can be reached upon.

Take care

Blank
I am experiencing the sensation of ants crawling up and down my spine more and more.  I have Stenosis in C2-3, herniated disks in C6-7, L5 and S1.  I have tried spinal injections they only last 2 maybe 3 weeks.  These episodes normally happen at night when I am laying down trying to get some sleep.  It is really annoying.  Any suggestions on what I can do to help relieve the sensations.  It is happening 4 out of 7 nights a week now.  Please help me.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...