Neurology Community
Pineal Gland Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pineal Gland Cyst

For the last two months I have been suffering with a drunk headed feeling. I went through various tests and the doctor put me on ortho-est because of my estrogen levels which was very low. After two weeks of using half a tablet a day the feeling was still there every day, and even got worse with a cold feeling on my scalp and face, pressure on my head and ringing ears. I went for a MRI and they found nothing else but a cyst on my pineal gland. I am worried to death.  I am still waiting for an appointment with a neurosurgent but please advise me what will probably happen or what can it be.
Thanx.
Tags: irritable
Hi Bonvey,
How are you feeling now?
Pineal Gland cyst is benign cyst, present in pineal gland of brain. It is located in midline and close to the course of optic nerve. It causes any symptoms unless and until, it is large in size and causes pressure symptoms.
There could be Pressure symptoms like headache, vomiting, irritability, double vision or vision impairment (due to its closeness to optic nerve) among others.
If any of such symptoms develop, then it is a concern to see neurologist at earliest.
Serial monitoring of size of pineal gland cyst is important by during periodic with other possible symptomatology.
Any surgery is indicated only if there is increase in size and also there are symptoms due to raised pressure in brain like vomiting, irritability, seizures, headache, eye pain, double vision etc.
What is the size of cyst on MRI?
I think you should follow advice your physician and consult neurologist at earliest.
Bye.
Hi.

Pineal gland cyst are benign, and only cause symptoms when they enlarge and compress on adjacent structures. However, we cannot immediately attribute this as the cause of your symptoms because we have not seen your MRI plates so there is no way for us to tell whether it is large enough to cause symptoms.

A neurologist would be in the best position to assess your MRI findings and correlate them to your clinical presentation.