Pineal Region Cyst
I had an MRI done and it showed that I had a 7.4mm pineal region cyst on the sagittal T1- weighted images without significant mass on the Tectal plate. "typically, these are hyperintense on FLAIR images, although this is not the case on this exam." - i do not understand the statement in parenthesis?

I Have been having severe Migraines/ headaches for years now and in the last 3 months they have worsen. This is why my doctor ordered the MRI. Medications I have been prescribed have not been effective or I have gotten very sick from taking. My doctor is scheduling an appt. with the neurologist for me, she said she does not think the cyst is what is causing my headaches?? i have been experiencing blurred vision ( i saw an eye doctor and he said overall my eyes arent bad), nausea, and lately I have been so exhausted I can barely do anything. Any information you may know about this matter would be extremely helpful

thanks!
Hi, Thank you for posting your question to the forum. Pineal cyst is a brain cyst that may remain asymptomatic for long years. But if it is large it can cause headache, poor attention span, visual disturbance, paralysis, seizures and gait disorders. Therefore, surgical intervention is essential to remove the large cyst and if permanent damage needs to be avoided.  Craniotomy, needle aspiration and cerebral shunts are common surgical treatment that may help.  Please consult a neurologist right away in this regard. Hope this helps.