Neurology Community
Pins & needles in arm pinky ring finger

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins & needles in arm pinky ring finger

I have really bad pins and needles in my ring and pinky finger and some pain through my wrist and part of my arm.  I thought that was part of my carpal tunnel but when I got that fixed it was still there.  I asked him if that was my carpal tunnel and he said no it was something more serious from my elbow but didn't explain further.

My friend has the same same thing and her doctor said she needs a nerve replacement surgery.

Can someone tell me what this is and if that surgery is a big deal??  

Thanks,
Anna
Hi there.

First of all, you have to pinpoint the problem before you go in with any surgery.  The doctor's brief and unspecific comment about a serious elbow problem may not be sufficient to warrant any surgical intervention.  From the way you described your symptoms, the ulnar nerve may be affected since this is the nerve that supplies your little finger as well as some structures in the arm.  The ulnar nerve may be compressed at several levels and most commonly, it can be compressed in the elbow area.

I suggest you discuss more of this with your doctors and I hope you and your doctors can pinpoint the problem soon.

Regards and God bless.