Neurology Community
Pins and Needles Left leg and hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins and Needles Left leg and hand

Hi there

My wife developed severe pain in her left leg a couple of months back and then it started to turn into pins and needles. She has had this sensation for about 6 weeks now. At first we thought it was a tarpped nerve or sciatica as she had a pain in her lower back but she has developed pins and needles in her left hand now!

I am really worried this might be MS as that seems to be only the possible thing after doing some googling. She had tried a osteopath but that didn;t work and has a referral to see a neurologist.

Can anyone help or make me feel a bit better??

Many thanks

Dominic
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

I doubt that some spinal nerves may be compressing in spine by disc prolapse & degeneration or stenosis. By the reason of that nerves from the spinal cord can be irritated causing weakness in the leg, leg/thigh pain, numbness and tingling (pin and needles like sensation). Few persons also face generalized body weakness and numbness due to other nerve irritation on back. If she suffers continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in both the legs, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here. These “red flags” could be indicative of compression of the spinal cord and its nerve branches and early treatment is essential if permanent damage needs to be avoided. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps.