Pins and Needles Sensation
About 10 days ago as I was lying in bed I got a very strong pins and needles sensation from my knee to ankle along the tibia. Now I am getting pins and needles all over my body including in my neck, hands, elbows feet, back, lips and legs. What could this be? I was at the doctor a few days ago and he said to keep track of where I have them but they are all over.
I suffered from Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS) ten years ago, when I had the same sensations of awful pins and needles followed by a terrible slowness in movement. A ten minute walk to the shops became something taking over two hours. Eventually, my legs and arms became paralysed and I had six months in hospital unable to move. There were simple tests they carried out, including an EMG, to prove whether or not I had GBS. Whe I was diagnosed the treatment avaialble began.

Eventually I had plasma exchange daily, and movement returned, albeit slowly. From what I know, GBS is an illness where the anti-bodies are tricked into attacking your own body, stripping the protection from the myelin sheath that protects the nerves. The EMG shows whether the messages are going from the brain but are not getting through. The problem is often following something like entiritis which triggers the anti-bodies.

Of course, there are hundreds of illnesses other than GBS, and you should not take what I am saying as in any way that your symptoms could be connected. What I do say from my horrible experience  is keep on to your doctor to make sure he does not assume anything but keeps looking for a reason.

I would definitely return to your PCP/Family Physician and get a referral for a Neurologist ASAP.  
Hi, Thank you for your question. It sounds that your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal or peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.

Thank you all for replying. I am having blood work and a series of tests done this week. I am wondering if it is a vitamin deficiency as I do not eat meat, although the other suggestions also need to be ruled out. Anthony, I appreciate you sharing your experiences. That must have been awful and I hope you have made a good recovery. I was reading about that syndrome. You are in good company. Andy Griffith, one of my favorite actors, also shares that illness with you. Thanks Londres and Dr. Srivastava for your help.
I will update when I find out as I read so many posts that don't follow-up with the results and it leaves us hanging. :)
I am glad you are going to follow up; people don't realize the importance of following up with what happened in their situation.  You can save someone the heartache, worrying, wasting time going in the wrong direction, etc.  
I am still waiting for my test results. I have a doctor appointment but it isn't for another week. The pins and needles sensation is getting worse. Fingers, hands, elbows, corners of my eyes, nose, calves, knees, you name it! I am bumping this post up to see if anyone else is experiencing this. Very annoying!
I got my blood work back.  A few of the results were on the very low end of what normal values are especially the ones hinting at anemia although the doctor said I am not anemic.
The x rays and bone density shows arthritis in both knees and hips. Some of the pins and needles sensation are in my knees and the doctor thought the arthritis may be the cause of them. I still don't know why I get them in other parts of my body though, even my lips. To me that suggests more of a neurological problem. ?? IDK