Neurology Community
Pins and Needles and headaches after skiing accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In Feb of 2012 i fell skiing. I dont know what caused the fall, possibly low light and ice. I fell back and to the side as if someone ripped the skis forward. I didn't black out and was able to get up  pretty fast after i stopped sliding. Mind you i was going around 50 when i fell, according to my helmet camera. Other than some pains i didn't not have any apparent injuries. later that day though i noticed in a large change of Temp ie, going into the lodge/room or outside i would have pins and needles all over my body. That went on for the next 3 day but i continued to ski. The evening of the accident i noticed a large bruise running straight down my back, directly on the lower spine. Fast forward to May 2012. I started getting headaches only on the weekends, and not every weekend though, to the point of throwing up. I couldnt figure out why, I narrowed it down to the fact it was the only time i sleep in. So i thought it was dehydration. but drinking lots of water the night before, didnt help. Fast forward to late Feb 2013, i woke up one morning to a headache, i believe it was a thursday and it wasnt from drinking or not enough sleep, it was **one of those headaches** i could tell right away. pain from the back of my head straight through to my eyes and a little along the temple. well needless to say it is now the beginning of May 2013 and I have had one long headache since the end of Feb. It is not always bad, most days its just a dull-you-know-its-there kind of ache but nevertheless its there. I was told it was the C1 being out????!!!!!  ANY THOUGHTS? PLEASE!!!
Welcome to those of us that suffer migraines. There are many things that can cause migraines back and neck problems being one of them. I have spinal problems in my lower back and notice that when my back is out I have migraines frequently until I get everything lined back up. You very well could have injured your neck when you fell. I would suggest going to your dr and asking for a mri of you entire back and neck. Explain about the bruise and the feelings of pin and needles and the migraine occurring right afterwards.

Also some things that help relieve migraines are neck pillows preferably a corn pillow or rice that you can heat in the microwave and when you get into that position that you can actually lay down in and not feel like there is a road crew in you brain making you want to puke, take a nap. Take tylenol or whatever you take for your migraine first though. Even rolling up a towel while reclining ( I can never lay flat in bed )  place a heat pad over it.

Also there is a chart of my profile that is a Nerve conduction chart go check it out and you will see why the C1 was brought to your attention and why I say you should see about getting a mri. Best wishes, Sissie