Neurology Community
Pins and needles feeling,very concerned!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Since last Friday I have noticed a pins and needles feeling in my arms and hands, legs and feet. It comes and goes sometimes in one hand or one foot etc.  Occasionally I also get a sharp pain in my shin area, however; I do occasionally suffer from shin splints.  
I went to the Dr. today because I my ear has been bothering me and I feel very much in a fog. Similiar to the way I felt last I had a sinus infection. He put me on an antibiotic and said he wasn't sure if the pins and needles were connected with this. If it didn't go away he would do some blood tests.

Of course I looked up the symptoms of "pins and needles" only to have MS come up. I am scared out of my mind, and have spent a few nights awake because of all this stress.  I am hoping that someone may have some reassurance, similiar story, or just be able to share their opinion.

Thanks for listening, please help me out by replying,

Jen
I've had those same experience, pins and needles sensation in arms and legs, now I have them in my bodice and back too...they come and go. I have always attributed them to Fibromyalgia.
I encourage you to think of some things you are grateful for,,,
I have every sympathy for you, as I know how scary these odd symptoms can be.
I've been cautioned to be careful which sites I look at on the Internet, as I can scare my self needlessly.
Take care,
Sharon
Do you have MS? Or just the fibromyalgia? Thanks for the reply!
There can be several reasons of your generalized body numbness with pins & needle sensation, although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely, your pin & needle symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal/peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.

I do not have MS...only Fibromyalgia, and Hypothryoid with a goiter and nodule. Very recently diagnosed with the thyroid issues..Good like....I ditto Dr. Srivastava. I find the sooner I seek medical attention, the less stress  and fear I have to live with.
Keep us informed as to what you learn from a medical professional.
Take care of yourself!
Thank you for the responses. The pain in my shin area is much more than it usually would be from working out .  I get burning pains in the shin area even while lying in bed at night or in the morning. I wasn't aware that shin splints could be like this. I know though with MS it can be.  Am I wrong? Can shin splints act up at other times besides immediately after a workout?  This coupled with the coming and going of the pins and needles is keeping me up at night with worry.
Hi.....I sure would encourage you to seek medical attention, as soon as possible, as worring about the pins and needles, can be aggrivated by stress...anything can be aggrivated by stress, I know that all too well...Even If I am not focusing on a new symptom, counsciously...my body sure reacts...Then I have to do some self talk and remind my self to do something to relax...another thing that helps me is to journal all of my thoughts, and pay perticular attention to those messages that I say to myself in my head, like, oh my gosh, I have a bad disease, and ??? etc. etc..
Hope this helps some! Take care,
I have been doing so much reading of these symptoms. I have a question with the fibromyalgia. Is it constan?, do you get a pain say in your shin (for instance) and have it all day, or does it stay for a little while go away come back later.  I will have pain in my shin, then ankle or maybe the same time. Neck, back, knee. But not every second of the day. I am wondering how it works with fibro, as the websites I have read don't say.

I also have depression, anxiety, insomnia.

Thanks for your responses Sharon :)
I forgot to mention, I went to the Dr. Friday and had a bunch of blood work done for thyroid, diabetes, vitamin deficiency, etc.
I'm so sorry that I did not get back to you, sooner...I call my Fibromyalgia, the missionary disease, my Dr. asked why, and I told him because it can affect one area of the body, and it gets up and leaves and lites somewhere else, and doesn't bother to tell you, it was going to leave or where it was going....may sound silly, but that is how it feels to me...also like I have been run over by a steam roller, and it backed up and did it again....for me, it does come and go, and I have wide spread body pain, especially in the muscles, but it can feel like joints, as they hurt too...I also feel lumps in my muscles when I run my hand down my arm, leg, etc...not smoothe like someone who does not have it, and everyone of those lump are sore. When the weather changes I have flare ups..Fibro, and depression, anxiety, etc. often go together...many Docs put Fibro  patients on a low does antidepressant, to aid with sleep. I cannot take them, as I have many drug reactions...but I have found an awesome product over the counter that works for sleep.;..it is nautral...;it is Melatinin...I use 1 MG two state release...there are no side affects or groggyness when you get up in the morning. Do post the results of your blood work! I do also have PTSD, so I take Clonipin, and use Xanax for emergence, ie. panic attack or high anxiety...I was doing good until this thyroid, goiter and nodule issue arose...that I have complained about for 2 yrs...just started treating it about 6 weeks ago.
Take care of yourself....keeping a journal helps, tracking your symptoms, date and time them....so important...as you may find triggers...Blessing to you....Sharon
I have started today with some weird sensations like my hair has moved but it hasn't on the top of my head and face a little. I am worrying more that it could be MS. My 1st neurologist appt is the end of the month.  This is scary!!