Neurology Community
Pins and needles in lower legs and face

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins and needles in lower legs and face

Hi - I am a 30 yr old male, 5-9, 145, in good shape and in good health. I have never been in an accident, had major surgery, or gotten hurt very badly. I have never even had a major illness, but am now having some problems that I think are neurological. I have scoured the internet and read countless postings but nothing seems to match what I am going through. I hope someone here can help me figure things out.

I started experiencing the following symptoms in early March of this year (2009):

- tingling/pins and needles/ numbness in my right leg from knee down on the calf side, sometimes including foot, lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours - almost feels asleep/waking up
- after a few days, same thing in my left leg, less frequent, less intense
- same thing in my chin and cheeks (under the eyes), occasionally in the neck
- moderate back pain, area where neck hits back
- tightness/ high tension in both shoulders
- symptoms continue to come and go, sometimes disappearing for days at a time.
- Example - Tue and Wed of this week I felt fine, Thurs all day, all symptoms, as intense as ever. Fri moderate, today mostly fine, tomorrow ???

I usually don't take anything, but if the sensations are very intense I will sometimes take an aleve or advil. I don't know if it helps or if the feelings just go away, as they come and go during the day.

In addition, I had some weakness in my right shoulder and legs, the feeling you get after a vigorous workout where your muscles feel very fatigued, only without the workout. This seems to have passed.

I saw my general doctor, he thought it was spinal stenosis and ordered an MRI and referred me to a back specialist. MRI showed mild cervical stenosis, central canal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and kyphosis mostly in C4-C5 and C5-C6. The general doctor did all kinds of blood tests, and I was normal (dead center of the range) for literally all the things they test for.

The back specialist told me that these conditions would not cause the symptoms that I have and suggested I see a neurologist. He also said that if you gave 100 people my age an MRI, 30% would have mild stenosis like me and that it shouldn't affect me in any way (just to avoid contact sports, etc.). I have an appt with a neurologist in June.

Has anyone had similar symptoms or have any idea what might be causing this? If so what worked for you, what should I try?

Thanks in advance
shb12358,

It could be gout. Check your uric acid levels. Symptons are similar in gout. Some times, these issues- get accelerated due to pollans in spring.
Viv82 - Thanks for the response. I don't think that it could be gout as that is usually in the big toe and I haven't had any pain there. I more have a pins and needles feeling, not pain. Also, there is no visible swelling or bruising, etc. The most concerning thing to me is the feelings in my face, and I don't think that gout could affect that.

Still, I appreciate the suggestion and will look into it next dr. visit if whatever is causing my symptoms is still unknown.
shb

i almost have the same symptoms as you have. i have pain right behind the knees on both side and pain in thighs. I have been having this for 6 weeks. MRI of lower back showed minimal degenerative disc. Chiropractor thinks the symptoms may be related to this which I doubt it. Last week the same feeling migrated to the hands.

I have neuro appt on wednesday. I shall post back then. Thanks