Neurology Expert Forum
Pins and needles sensation on right thigh

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been having the sensation of pins and needles in my right thigh. It is worse when I wake up or if I have been sitting for any length of time. I have recently been treated for a pinched nerve in my neck and I'm wondering if this is again the cause for my thigh issue.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

One cause of pins and needles or burning sensation on the thigh is a condition called meralgia paresthetica. It is a sensory disturbance, usually painful and burning, located on the lateral aspect of the thigh. The burning sensation is usually worsened with prolonged positions such as sitting. The nerve that supplies this region courses through muscle and between a tight ligamentous areas making it susceptible for compression.. Treatment includes neurontin and lyrica. Other options may include a neurectomy (surgical procedure).

I doubt the pinched nerve in your neck is the source of the right thigh sensation you are having, especially if there is no involvement in the upper extremities and the remainder of your lower extremity.

I recommend that you discuss this issue with your primary care physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.