Neurology Expert Forum
Pituitary cysts or tumors

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pituitary cysts or tumors

I have had an MRI and my neurologist has suggested either a cyst or tumor is on my pituitary gland.  I can't find anything on cysts of this gland.  Can you please let me know if it is possible to have a cyst here and the symtoms (symptoms), if any.  Also the treatment.
  Thank you,  
       Chris Laughlin
_____________
_____________
Dear Chris,
The region around the pituitary gland can harbor both tumors and cysts of various kinds.  Often some information can be gleaned from the MRI as to whether it is a tumor or a cyst, and, if it looks like a tumor, the MRI may offer some information as to the type of tumor it may be.
Masses in the region of the pituitary gland can cause problems with vision, both in actually seeing objects in visual space and also with double vision.  There may be numbness in the face and jaw.  There may also be problems with headaches and some patients have problems with endocrine dysfunction in the pituitary gland itself.  This can occur from involvement of the pituitary gland or from compression against it.
Speak to your physician regarding what kind of mass this appears to be, and whether it is symptomatic.  These answers will be the determining factors in deciding the best treatment for you.
Good luck.