Neurology Expert Forum
Plaquenil and Myasthenia Gravis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Plaquenil and Myasthenia Gravis

I have been in remission with myasthenia gravis for over 30 years.  I have just been diagnosed with R. Arthritis. I read that patients with MG should not take anti-Malarial drugs such as Plaquenil.  My RA Dr. has given me a prescription for Plaquenil but I am too afraid to take it incase it induces the MG to come back. Please offer any advice.  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are many drugs that have the potential of exacerbating myasthenia gravis. These include various antibiotics, heart medications, magnesium, etc. Plaquenil does have the risk of impairing neuro-muscular transmission and may worsen/exacerbate myasthenic symptoms.

I would suggest you discuss your concerns with your rheumatologist. You may benefit from another medication. You should also discuss the medication with your myasthenic physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.