Please Help!!!!
Hello my name is Travis. I am 21 years old and have been experiencing very scary symptoms for the past couple years now. Every time i hit a strong bump in the road or do anything that send a vibration through my body up to my head i feel a sharp  pain on the sides of the back of my head. Anything from making a tackle in football or punching a heavy bag or even biting down on a hard piece of candy will trigger the pain that im feeling. I have noticed that if i hit my jaw not even hard even if i merely tap it i feel the pain or if i hit the back sides of my head with my hands i also feel the pain. Its not like im sitting there pounding myself in the jaw and head i don't use a lot of force and it still triggers the pain so i def know its not normal. Also if i jump up and down or jog in place i feel the pain in the back of my head to. It is a very scary feeling because it has effected my life on a day to day basis. Ive been to a neurologist and had an mri of my spine and head done and both came back normal. I don't know were else to turn and it amazes me that even biting down on hard candy can aggravate whatever it is that is bothering me. I must add that while jumping up and down or jogging in place i hear kind of a fluttering sound in my ears at the very same time that i feel the sharp pain in the back of my head. It will come for a split second and then disappear and i continue to jog in place and 5 seconds later the same thing will occur.  I have had my ears looked at and the doctors cant see any sign of fluid. I am currently waiting the results of an MRI of the temporal bone in my ear. Its a very scary and frustrating thing that i am going through and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much sincerely Travis
The very first thing to do is to place yourself in axial traction. An axial traction harness sells for about $35. If the pain is eliminated or diminished the problem is in nerve compression in the cervical area. The compression might be very high up. This is common after a so-called whiplash injury that may have happened a year or two before. One question that comes to mind is whether or not you have ever had an injury involving sudden flexure of the head or been punched in the head.
hello thank you very much for your response. In 2006 i had several blows to my head from boxing classes. One specific night i got hit a bunch of times and the people watching said that you could see my head swing back from the impact. I had a horrible headache that whole night and the whole next day. What exactly is a axial traction harness and were can i get one? Thank you
The blows from the boxing classes are the problem. You have textbook subluxion symptoms. These are very difficult to treat and you need a specialist. You can do a google search for "axial traction harnesses". Usually initially you need an anti-inflammatory such as prednisone for a few days to get the inflamation down. Do NOT continue to use prednisone beyond this period. The axial traction harness is used eight or nine times a day for five to ten minutes with an hour or so in-between. Do NOT use a cervical collar because it will cause loss of muscle tone. Nor use a muscle relaxant. Many physicians inappropriately prescribe both. You absolutely positively need an MRI because you want to make sure you are not doing structural damage. You need a damage assessment. Consult a physician before using an axial traction device, except as a means for a diagnosis. You also need to see an attorney because injuries sustained at a school function may be the basis for tort actions, regardless of what waivers you may have signed. I have had such an injury and it ended up causing total paralysis of my arm and hand for a year. And level ten pain.  A nightmare on Elm street. They take a long time to heal!  I could not ride in a subway because the slight up-and-down vibrations caused unbearable pain. And I cannot tell you how much nonsense I got from at least a dozen physicians before I found one (a pain specialist) that could find his behind without both hands and a compass.
Incidentally, these problems crop up a year or many years after the initial injury, and therefore people don't always connect the dots. But a history of sudden neck flexure is the key.
thank you again for continuing to respond to my questions. I had an MRI done of the brain and cervical spine and both came back normal. Would something like this be able to be detected by an mri? Because if so then it wouldn't make sense since the tests came back normal.
One of the problems with sort of injury is "self-splinting". That is to say, the patient avoids pain. Day by day he/she becomes able to move their head less and less without pain. You must make sure the MRI was of the cervical spine because the fact the doctor ordered an MRI of the brain does not mean you have had an MRI of the cervical area. And the ideal MRI is a 3T (Tesla) MRI, rather than a 1T MRI, which is what most hospital provide. The main reason for the MRI is to rule out a fracture of the vertebra. I am very hesitant to suggest therapy for this kind of injury on the internet. The normal person believes he is causing damage when his head or neck experiences pain, however therapy for a subluxion may involve forceful manipulation through the limits of pain as well as daily range-of-motion exercise, again through the limits of pain. I know this sounds counter-intuitive. In any event I suggest you consult a specialist in this sort of injury before initiating treatment by yourself.
ok thank you for your input....the last thing i want to add is i just now got my blood work back and the doctor is saying everything is being caused by chronic fatigue syndrome because it came back that i have Epstein bar. What do you think of this diagnosis?