Neurology Community
Please explain MRI results and Primary Care Doctors Recommendations

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My MRI results are:

There is mild reverals of the usual cervical lordosis with apex at the C5 vertebral body. Posterior disk bulges are noted at C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 and will be evaluated in the axial images below. There is also a posterior disk bulge at T2-3. Mild pominence of the central canal is noted from C3-T2 but is not apprecialted on the asizl images, and there is also no distinct syrinx identified. Visualized portions of the base of the brain, cervical cord, and paravertebral soft tissues appear otherwise normal. Review of the axial images follows:

C3-4 Normal
C4-5 Normal
C5-6 There is a disk ospeophyte complex with right paracentral disk protrusion significantly effacing the right side of the cord and contributing to moderate right foraminal stenosis and mild central canal stenosis.
C6-7 There is a disk osteophyte and tiny central disk protrusion effacing the thecal sac but contributing to no significant canal or foraminal stenosis.
C7-T1 Normal
T2-3 There is disk osteophyte complex and tiny central disk protrusion slightly effacing the cord and thecal sac centrally, but with no significant canal or foraminal stenosis noted at this level.

Impression:
1. Spondylotic hanges of the cervical spine as described in detail abouve with reversal of the usual cervical lordosis with Apex At C5, and with findings most remarkable at C5=6, whree there is a right paracentral disk protursion offacing the cord andthecal sac and contributing to moderate right foraminal stenosis and mild central canal stenosis.
2. Although there i apparent prominence of the central canal on the sagittal sequences, this is not full apprecialted on the axial images and may represent flow artifact. Additionally, there is no significant syrinx identifed.

My Doctor referred me right over to neurosurgery saying that physical therapy would do me no good at this point. He also put me on Morphine tablets for pain.

Can you please explain the MRI findings in terms I can understand?

Vikki Carter
  Buldges are when the material inside of the disc is allowed to escape from the disc sac, this could be a small tear.  It is a problem because it affects the alighnment of all the other vertebrae around it. In addition the disc is meant to be used as a shock absober for the entire spine. Any buldging discs can cause nerve compression on what ever level they are on.
  It would be helpful to know your symptoms.
  Ostephytes are "bone spurs" build up of bony tissue, it is a normal aging process or may be triggered by some spinal condition.  They are a problem when they are impinging on a nerve root as well.
  Spondylitis is a degeneration of the structures of the spine also occuring with age especially with those having a bone porosity condition.  I don't know how old you are but in females the beginning of meopause usually signal a gradual loss of bone density- take that calcium.
  I do not know what changes in the lordosis would mean. Lordosis in general is the normal curve of the spine
  Anything that involves the cenral canal is of interest because you are talking about the canal that carries the spinal cord itself.  That is the space in the center that carries all the nerves down to their exiting places.
  againit would be most helpful to know your symptoms. Nerves exit thru  each opening in the vertebare, called the foramina.  The symptoms will vary according to which nerves are impinged at what level.
  From what you post C-5/C-6 and c-6/c-7 are all possibilities for nerve root compression.  Usually the radiology report will include if there are definite root compressions. C-5 thru C-7 generally invole tingling sensations in one hand or both and the progressing to numbness- a burning sensation across the shoulder blades, a dull aching in the back of the neck- sometimes causing severe headaches.  There are many, many symptom complexes.
  Lordosis is the natural curve of the spine- it sounds like yours is curving the opposite way.
  Without the report saying there is any nerve compression i am kind of stumped why your doc sent you to a neuro so quickly- but your symptoms would tell it all. So could you please include in next post.
  Also no unusual changes whic involve the pinal canal are a good sign.  stenosis of the spinal cord is not good this could be why you were referred so quickly. It means a narrowing  of the spinal canal itself- not good.  More symptoms would be very helpful
Katwa
Katwa gave you an excellent layman's diagnosis. Lordosis is the curve of your neck. When my surgeon did my C5-6 fusion, he also corrected the curvature of my neck. Remeber seeing a lot of "little old ladies" with rounded shoulders and neck bent forward? That's lordosis (as I understand it. You must be in quite a bit of pain, and probably have numbness. Conservative measures are probably not going to help you. Putting off surgery if recommended, often results in permanent damage, causing weakness and numbness to be permanent. The quicker you take action the better off you'll be. How soon do you see neurosurgeon?  Good luck and take it easy.
I go to the Neurosurgeon on October 1, 2007. I am 39 years old. You were correct in my pain it shoots down my right arm, right leg, and crosses my back inbetween my shoulder blades. They have sent me to physical therapy and when they attempt traction I jumped up and cried for 5 minutes because the pain was insane. I typed exactly what was on the MRI report and left nothing out. My primary care doctor said that my spine at the neck instead of curving was straight. He said something about the jelly in my disk was being squeezed out if any of this makes since. My physical therapist explained it as a jelly doughnut without the jelly. I don't understand how I could have the little old lady thing because standing up straight with my shoulders back has always been a big thing for me. I can repost after my neuro appointment. But is surgery the best solution. I have a fear of someone cutting around my spine.