Neurology Community
Please help interpret MRI results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Please help interpret MRI results

I just received the results of a brain MRI that I had last week. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

FINDINGS: There is a focus of signal hyperintensity along the anterior lateral margin of the frontal horn of the left lateral ventricle which measures approximately 5 x 10 mm.  There is no other focal brain parenchymal abnormality detected.  The midline structures are normal.

There is not intracranial hemorrhage, mass effect, or abnormal extra-axial fluid collection.

The posterior fossa and teh craniocervical junction are normal.

There is no evidence of restricted diffusion on the diffusion weighted images and ADC mapped images.

There is not abnormal enhancement on the post infusion sequences.

The paranasal sinuses and the mastoid air cells are clear.  The orbits are grossly normal.  The calvarium is intact.

IMPRESSION: Small, nonspecific focus of signal hyperintensity along the anterolateral margin of the tip of the frontal horn of the left lateral ventricle appears to represent a nonspecific small focus of gliosis with no other lesions detected.  Otherwise, unremarkable MRI examination of the head performed without and with intravenous contract infusion and with normal diffusion weighted imaging of the brain.

Thank you.  It appears that there is nothing to be too concerned about, however I would like clarification on what "the focus of signal hyperintensity along the anterior lateral marging of the frontal hor of the left lateral ventricle" means as well as an explanation of gliosis.

Best regard,

geronimo360