Neurology Community
Pontine Brain Haemorrhage

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pontine Brain Haemorrhage

Hi, I was just wondering what the incidence is and indeed the prognosis for a pontine brain haemorrhage.  My husband  aged 42 had one approx 6 weeks ago, only confirmed by mri 10 days ago. It is still white on the MRI.  He has minimal symptoms as in he has numbness and tingling in left foot, left hand and the left side of his face.  He had loss of smell and mild short term memory disruption.  He also is on medication for high blood pressure which was the initial diagnosis prior to discover of said haemorrhage.
I would like to know if there exists any research that would indicate his long term prognosis.  Is there any treatment he should be on, anything he should be doing etc.

Thanks,

Denise

Thanks for writing in.
In most of the patients with pontine hemorrhage the prognosis is generally good. However it depends upon the extent and exact location of the hemorrhage. Chances of survival are poor if the patient is in coma on admission. Larger paramedian pontine hemorrhages generally have a poor prognosis when compared to large tegmental type which has been associated with favorable prognosis.
It is very important for your husband to keep his BP under control along with body weight and blood cholesterol.
Hope this helps!