Neurology Community
Porgnosis of a VP shunt

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Porgnosis of a VP shunt

I'm a 24y/o male and had a VP Shunt placed in Sept 2009, and I was wondering what the possiblity of the shunt malfunctioning would be. If any at all. Also how long do VP shunts normally last in adults?

This discussion is related to VP Shunt problem.
Hi I am almost 60 and had my vp shunt placed in sept 1998. I never had a revision done and the surgeon told me that I was one in a million. A VP shnt can last a life time. Signs of a shunt malfunction usually are the same as the ones you had before the shunt placed, except for infections but they usually only happen shortly after surgery.
I am trying to find out what the long term effects are of having a vp shunt in your brain because I have had a few problems the last few years and I am wondering if scartissue forms around the shunt and if that can cause problems. No use asking the dr's..
Hi. I also have a VP shunt since Nov 2008 and have been very lucky to date with it.
I would be very interested in your findings of long term  possible damage from shunts.
I think, there will be long term problems ahead and would like to be more informed in the case of something happening.
Like you, I know it is pointless asking the drs!

If, you do find out anything, you might keep me in mind to share the information. Thanks Cath278.
My husband was dignosed with N.P.H. In 2006 & had Conman shunt inserted Dec. 8th 2006. He had a problem & was getting worse right away. He was walking wen it was inserted & aimost right after he could hardley even get out of bed without help.The doctor kept adjusting the pressure with a machine weekly till March 5th 2007 only to discover the pressure went to 30 instead of 120. The machine that set the shunt was goin in reverse & drained his brain of almost all fluids. He has been chair bound since. Has this happened to anyone else? I can't get any answers. Please help!
I have had mine since 1993 and feel there must be scar tissue around it as it is causing discomfort and a tight, pulling sensation.It is also painful to lie with that side of my head on a pillow no matter how soft
I've had my shunt since 1994 I almost died before getting it. I was in a serious car accident ~ coma - ten years later upon the birth of my daughter & numerous other difficulties I has the surgery ~ it changed my life! I has to relearn how to walk ~ talk~ BUT am so thankful ... I never sleep on my rt side where shunt is as I get 'shunt headaches' & feel hollow .. It's a small price to pay for life though ...
My daughter who is now 4 received the vp shunt when she was a year and a half. I am curious to know if this will affect her later down the road when she decides to have kids as the vp shunt goes from head to abdomen and coils, as she grows the coil will stretch. will this affect childbirth? please educate me I am right with everyone else who can not get an answer. She was a 26 week premie
Hi TJB2014

I don't have an answer to your main question as to whether your daughter will have problem's in child birth or not due to VP shunt, as my daughter also has VP shunt inserted when she was 3 weeks old, now she is 25yrs old and during all this years her shunt was replaced twice, once when she was 4 yrs old and 2nd time when she was 8 yrs old, after that thankfully there has been no problem with her shunt. I also spoke to her doctor about her having any problems in childbirth, and the doctor's told me that there should be no problem. I am still worried about that issue, if in case she becomes pregnant what will be the consequences due to this shunt.