Neurology Community
Positional Speech Problem?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Positional Speech Problem?

I am a 38 year old female living in the Pacific Northwest.  In December 2007, I woke up with an eruption of shingles on my right side - from my rib cage to the middle of my back.  I immediately went to the Dr. and was given a dose of Acyclovir and the condition resolved.  Beginnning in February 2008 (after two weeks of stress), I had some lightheaded episodes and gradually became aware of a frequent urination problem.  During the course of the next 6 weeks, I had an ultrasound and saw a kidney specialist to determine the cause of my urination problems.  All tests were normal.  In April 2008, my symptoms progressed to a full blown neurological nightmare.  I had problems with dizziness, speaking, walking and writing.  I was hospitalized for a week.  I had an MRI with and w/o contrast and an MRA of my head.  With the exception of a slightly enlarged pituitary, they were fine.  All blood work was normal.  A battery of tests for pituitary hormones was conducted and were normal.  A spinal tap revealed normal pressure, an elevated protein of 47 and no olligoclonal bands.  

The strangest part is that while in the hospital, I discovered that if the bed were at approximately a 30 degree angle, the neurological symptoms would resolve completely.  If however, I moved out of this position, even slightly, all of the symptoms would immediately return.  After a few days of experimenting with this, I discovered it had to do with my spinal alignment.  I felt like a circus trick.  One moment completely incapacitated and the next able to speak clearly as long as I didn't move.  After much testing, the physicians scratched their heads and told me I had conversion reaction from the stress of my father dying 7 years ago.  My father had lung cancer that metastisized to his brain.  He had problems with speech in the last month of his life.  I loved my father very much, but a group of doctors that have known me for a week telling me that my illness is psychosomatic from a seven year stressor is a stretch.    

Here it is 3 months later, and my symptoms are persisting in much the same manner.  I have continued to seek medical treatment and have resorted to a holistic chiropractor and a physician that specializes in diagnosing strange things.  My symptoms seem to round robin.  In the mornings, I have a buzzing feeling in my head when I wake up.  I am not sleeping well - generally 3 hours at a stretch.  I am exhausted.  Some days I can't speak - I stutter and my tongue feels too large for my mouth.  Some days, I have to pee 30 times.  Consistently, I have had lightheadedness and headaches behind my left eye - to the point that I have had to stop operating a vehicle.  Since I was hospitalized, I have had a GTT that was normal and a Field Vision Test that was normal.  Additional blood work for heavy metals - all negative.   The only deficiency so far has been for Vitamin D and a high IgG for Zoster.  My Doctor assures me I don't have MS, diabetes or any auto immune disease.  My Doctor thinks that the shingles did neurological damage to my spine and that it will take a while to resolve.

This past weekend, I was not able to speak on Friday and Saturday.  On Saturday evening, I tried to duplicate my hospital stay and put a small ball under the left side of my neck.  Within 30 seconds, my head cleared and I was able to speak fluently.  I can find no information on the internet of anyone with a positional neurological problems.  I feel as though I am going crazy.  Sometimes shifting my weight from right to left foot will affect my vision and speech.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  I am having a cervical MRI on Monday.... hopefully this will reveal something...