Neurology Expert Forum
Possible C6-C7 Disc Protrusion?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible C6-C7 Disc Protrusion?

Posted By  Mike on April 20, 1999 at 15:02:29
  Topic Area: Neuromuscular
  : Hi,
  : I recently received the results of a CT scan which showed the following:  "There appears to be significant foraminal narrowing at C6- C7 on the right and at C7 and T1 at the left.  This is likely secondary to osteophytes and osteoarthritic changes within the uncovertebral joints, however it would be difficult to exclude a superimposed lateral disc protrusion at C6- C7.  As well, there was an osteophyte extending into the intraforaminal region causing some narrowing and presumable significant stenosis of the nreve root.  There was a beam hardening artifact and this limits the diagnostic quality of the study, but no definite disc protrusion could be identified."
  : I am in my 50's, female and for the past year have been experiencing excruciating neck pain.  Before receiving the results of my CT scan, I had been seeing a chiropractor for the past three months.  About a month after starting chiropractic treatments, I started getting tingling in my right arm and right hand.  If I bend forward from the waist, or tip my head back, I can also set off this tingling effect in my right arm/hand.  I also have a numbing sensation in my left leg which starts just below the knee and radiates downward.
  : I am currently waiting to be booked for an MRI, but there is probably a 3-4 month wait.  
  : My questions are:
  : 1)  Until we identify if this is a disc protrusion or not, what activities can I do?   I currently babysit small children which involves alot of lifting.  As well, I enjoy gardening in the summer.
  : 2)  What is an osteophyte, what symptoms can it cause and how is it treated?
  : 3)  What does the term "beam hardening" mean?
  : 4)  How much damage could my chiropractic treatments have caused if I do infact have a disc protrusion at C6-C7?
  : 5)  Is surgical intervention necessary to treat a disc protrusion at C6-C7?  If so, how successful is the surgery?
  : 6)  Can the tingling in my right arm/hand and numbness in my left leg be related to a disc protrusion or could this be caused from the chiropractic treatments?
  : I know I have alot of questions, but any insight would be much appreciated.
  : Thanks,
  : Lisa