Neurology Community
Possible Pinched Nerve Issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Possible Pinched Nerve Issues

Can a pinched nerve or vitamin B-12 deficiency cause tingling, numbness and body tremors?

My problem started with tingling and numbness in both feet (eventually disappeared) - it then progressed to leg tingling during physical activity (eventually disappeared) - now I am experiencing hand and foot tremors when attempting to hold certain positions, constant internal trembling feeling when cold and occasional jerky muscle`movements. I was told by my doctor (after an EMG that showed S1/L5 radiculopathy) that I likey have a pinched nerve or bulging disc. I tend to believe her simply because NONE of these problems started until I strained my back while grooming my dog a year ago. Also, after seeing a chiropractor for several months, my leg tingling significantly decreased. My doctor has suggested an MRI to confirm her diagnosis. Diabetes and thyroid issues have been ruled out and I'm sure othe CNS disorders will checked for as well. I just wanted to know if my tremors could possibly have other causes besides Parkinson's or MS (which is quite scary and is all one sees on the internet as a cause)
Hello.

Yes, a pinched nerve can cause symptoms of neuropathy. These could be tingling, numbness, burning and pain. If the pinched nerve is a big nerve, there could be tremors of the whole limb. These are especially when you attempt to hold things, push something or do some activity with the muscle which the nerve supplies.

These similar symptoms can also be caused by Vitamin B12 deficiency. In fact, there is a specific disease caused by Vit B12 deficiency. It is called as Sub-acute combined degeneration. There are lesions on the spinal cord. These may mimic lesions of demyelination.

The tremors that you have do not seem to be present all the time. It is only when you are trying to hold certain position. Please add to this if you have any more symptoms. These symptoms can occur with spinal disc protrusion.

Have you decided any plan for the radiculopathy?

Regards
Dr. Deshmukh,

I had an additional question. Can pinched nerves or spinal subluxation (in general) cause all of the problems I described in my earlier post? In addition to postural tremors, hand/leg tingling and muscle jerks, I am now experiencing facial tingling (at the base of nose) for the last few weeks. By the way, the muscle jerks occur mostly as I am drifting off to sleep and tend to be widespread but singular in occurrence and body part (involving either the hands, feet, diaphram or sometimes whole body). I have subtle muscle twitches of the hands, feet, arms, shoulder and face as well that come and go. When I resumed treating with a chiropractor he assessed that I have vertical subluxation at C1, C2, C5, T3, T7, T9, T12, L3, L4, S1 and Sacrum. He noted that my pelvis was twisted and higherup on side than the other. He also performed a static EMG scan which showed moderate to severe hypertonicity of the paraspinal muscles. Can subluxation cause hypertonicity? Can cervical subluxation cause facial tingling? Can hypertonicity cause muscle twitches or jerks? What things can I do to relieve these symptoms outside of medication?