Neurology Expert Forum
Possible screw misplacement post SI Joint Fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Good morning.  I have had both SI Joints fused within the last month, and the right side couldn't have gone any better.  I have absolutely no pain at all on my right side.  My left side, however, is a completely different story.  I am having severe sciatic nerve type pain, numbness and tingling in my foot, mostly towards the small toe side.

My leg is weak and I have extremely bad spasms at the hip area that shoot down my leg.  I had an EMG last Thursday, and the Neurologist mentioned that I have a severe pinched nerve at the L5-S1 area.  My low back has been fused for 3 years (L4-L5, L5-S1) via AxiaLif2L, and I have also had a lamenectomy.  To that end, I have not experienced any of this pain before the SI Joint fusion.  Both sides pre-surgery felt the same, so that is why I am really concerned.

I am no professional, but to me, it looks like the bottom screw on the left side is too close to the nerve canal.  I am at my wits end since I am currently off of work with no pay at the moment, and I just need this fixed.

The image on the following link is my last X-Ray:  http://www.freeimagehosting.net/tkvss

1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.  

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I am sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing after your surgery.  Unfortunately, with any surgical procedure, there is a risk for complications.  An SI joint fusion involves operating close to the exit point of the nerve roots from the spine, and thus there is risk for nerve damage.  If you are experiencing chronic pain well after the surgery, you should let your surgeon know.  A plain x-ray cannot provide information on how your nerves or spinal cord were affected.  I would recommend following up with your surgeon to find out what options are available.  In the meantime, you may find working with a neurologist or a pain specialist for nonsurgical management of your pain may be beneficial.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.