Post Craniotomy unexplained swelling over plate area
My husband had a craniotomy 3 years ago because of skull fracture and subdural hematoma caused by a fall. Two weeks after the initial surgery he had to have the bone flap removed and a titanium mesh plate put in because he had staff infection. He has suffered from moderate to severe headaches and fatigue ever since. On November 27 of this year my husband noticed swelling in the area of his plate. He could not put his hat on. He had a severe head ache. His neck became very sore on that side and he could not turn his head. We went to the ER on the following day and they did blood tests and gave him an antibiotic. The next day we saw the neurologist and he ordered an MRI on the following Monday. Anyway, all the tests came back negative. After several days the swelling went down. He has also developed an indentation along the scar line and the bone that is at the edge of the plate that is big enough to stick the tip of your finger in. What could have caused this? Should we be concerned? The neurologist here has no answers.
Could understand your anxiousness about the condition of your husband.
It would require an indepth clinical evaluation of your husband.
The first priority would be to rule out any infection present in association with the implant.

Have an 2nd opinion with other senior neurologist.
Good luck.