Neurology Community
Post Ischemic Gliosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Post Ischemic Gliosis

Hello, my 65 year old mother has fallen twice in the last few months for no apparent reason and after the last fall her GP began doing tests to find out what may be causing her falls.  She has been fairly healthy but has hyperthyroidism and controlled by meds high blood pressure.  She had an irregular EKG which promted her Dr to do several tests on her heart which we dont have the results for at this time, however, an MRI of her brain showed she has "post ischemic gliosis" and I was wondering what this could be from?  Would that be the reason for her falling?  She is also having some slurred speech and memory trouble.  Today they are doing a sonogram of her carotid arteries.  She is scheduled to see an Neurologist next week but I would like to know what to expect.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time!
Hi Dear,
Gliosis is a proliferation of astrocytes (large star shaped non-neuronal support cells)  in damaged areas of the central nervous system. Astrocytes have various functions, including accumulating in areas where neurons have been damaged. It is the most important histopathological sign of CNS injury which might be an aftermath / sequelae of stroke. Post-ischemic reperfusion in the brain is known to be associated with generation of free radicals which result in the damage at the micro level.
This results in neurodegenerative disorders and the symptoms such as slurred speech and memory troubleand falling may be a consequence of the degeneration.
Wishing your mother a speedy recovery.
Thank you so much for the info, its very helpful.  On her test yesterday of the carotid arteries it showed her right side to be 35% blocked.  Could the partially blocked artery be the cause of the degeneration in the brain or would it be more likely that they are two separate problems?  Is there anything that can be done to rebuild any of the cells?

Thanks so much for your help!