Neurology Community
Post Op Chiari Decompression Question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Post Op Chiari Decompression Question

I was diagnosed with CM1 and hydromyelia beginning of last year.  I had a C1 laminectomy, cranectomy and decompression surgery in August of last year.  I felt wonderful for the first few months although I am noticing some symptoms returning and some other things that I do not know if they are related or not.  I have a burning sensation in my face sometimes, my hands and feet are almost always cold.  Shooting pains from my neck into my right shoulder, weakness in my arms and legs with some muscle spacisity also.  My back pain is hovering around a 6 on a scale of 1-10 on a day to day basis.  I have been having some numbness in my feet again and the right side of my neck is swelling up.  Is this something that I am going to have to deal with forever or is there a treatment to help?  I am frustrated because I missed three months of work in order to have the surgery done although now the symptoms are coming back.  I do believe that my neurosurgeon did a wonderful job, he has a good reputation and I felt wonderful for the first few months. I don't know what to do at this point and I need some advise please!!!
Thank you
Hi Anne,

I do not know who ur dr was or what u were told about chiari...there is no cure.....only treatment.

I do not know what ur herniation was or if u had a CSF blockage?

Please join our chiari forum here on medhelp.....we have members like myself- no surgery yet...and we have recently decompressed members as well.

Those that have had the surgery will be able to share their experiences with u.I hope to see u on the boards!!

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Hello. I think I've talked to you before, but I'm not 100%. I had the decompression surgery last April.

I hate to hear that you're having problems. Have you had a follow up MRI since your symptoms started returning? Have you had an MRI of your lower spine. It's possible that you may be having some related neurological issues - I have Degenerating Disk Disease for instance.

Come visit us on the Chiari forum.
I truely do under stand how u feel am just as lost,everthing you said about yourself was like you where reading right from my life story