Neurology Expert Forum
Post Surgery Spinal Headaches
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post Surgery Spinal Headaches

I had an L4 to S1 spinal fusion on Jan 22nd (today is the 28th of March), after being released from the hospital I developed severe spinal headaches (intense pain, blurred vision, nausea, vomiting) which resulted in my being readmitted for seven days of bed rest.  The bedrest reduced the severity of the headaches, but they still occur eight weeks after the procedure.  Also, I have profound swelling in my lower back at the incision site.  My doctor said he probably nicked the dura sac during the procedure and the leaking CSF is causing the headaches and swelling. He didn't want to try any invasive procedure at that time to stop the leak.  My question is, can the dura sac be expected to heal on its own after eight weeks and what is a normal time frame for these headaches to go away?  Also, can any type of permanent damage occur to the brain with a prolonged CSF leak?
  Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
  Bob