Post Thoracotomy Nerve Damage
12 months ago I had a thoracotomy on my right lung, as well as a large incision on my back I also have 2 incisions where chest drains were fitted. Immediately following the operation I was aware of pain, numbness and swelling on the right hand side of my abdomen up to the midline of my chest. MRI scans showed no abnormal organ swelling but muscle atrophy of the "6 pack" area. EMG tests have confirmed damage to the nerves from T5 to T10 however a recent MRI scan shows the spinal areas are normal in terms of the nerve roots. I have seen the thoracic surgeon who says he has never seen this problem before and I have had the same comment from a neurologist and pain management specialist. In short I now have a large bulge in my right abdomen area that is both painful and sensitive. I have been prescribed Gabapentin (900 mgs per day) but other than that there seems little more that can be done. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas where I could go from here?
Almost same identical issue. I had diaphramatic hernia surgery and my swelling and pain is in a totally different area. What was your resolution to your issues?