Neurology Community
Post Viral Neuropathy/ME - Getting better

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CFS/Fibro/Post Viral Syndrome, Adies syndrome...?

I had a diagnosis from my doctor, I have been experiencing autonomic overactivity since having 2 infections followed by a virus.  One of the side effects from the antibiotics I was given during the first infection was in fact Peripheral Neuropathy.  Since then I have had a lot of problems and not known what is going on.

I've had a mixture of increase in metabolism, sinus tachyarrythmia, high anxiety, aching muscles and joints on mild exertion, bloating after eating, intolerance to heat and cold in extremes, unequal pupils, dilated pupils (they return to normal during random parts of the day), high bp, muscle wasting, I also have what is called the classic "crimson crescents" in my throat which ME sufferers tend to get, I sometimes mix up my words when I talk and can't type accurately now without hitting the backspace button several times in one sentence.  I'm on beta blockers at the moment and nothing else, though it has been suggested to me to try Vitamin B complex supplements for nerve repair and to go on a eat little and often weight gain programme (as I lost 2 stone when this started too).  I can walk up the stairs and it's like running a marathon.

What I would like to know is - what are the best things to try to help with the symptoms, to even get rid of it.  How long does it take to go into remission?

I had mumps back in 05 and had similar symptoms but not as bad.  I did have the pupil thing then but only a couple of times, this now happens all of the time.  I also used to get the pins and needles etc... a lot but it only lasted about 4 months then I was fine again.  Then I was pregnant and had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and birth.  It was after an infection after the birth that i became ill.

All my bloodwork was perfectly normal, I have been refused an MRI because the Dr said she is 90% certain it's post viral/infection considering it has happened before (though not to this extent), and gone away and that I was like this post infection/virus.

It is only now that I have this diagnosis, for ages they were telling me it was post natal depression.  It started in February, I want to know how long it takes to resolve.
It was Metronidazole that I had.