Neurology Community
Post lumbar fusion foot pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Post lumbar fusion foot pain

I had a lumbar fusion of L4-L5 and L5-S1, the surgery was successful.  Woke up and was pain free.  After 4 weeks I started to experience a growing pain in my right foot.  It is now in both feet and is excruciatingly painful.  I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so what type of treatment did you receive and how long did the pain last?  
Hi, Thank you very much for your question Your symptoms could be suggestive of either some nerve injury or a pressure on the nerve after the fusion surgery. Another possibility in your case could be damaged the soft-tissues such as muscles or underlying skin. However, it is essential to clarify that nerve injury does not necessarily mean complete injury to the nerve and it may be either edema or some type of compression of nerve by a blood clot or scar formation. I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Hope this helps.

i had lumbar surgery july 28 2009, one year ago l1 s5 and cause i had sciatic nerve problem and right foot hurt. when i woke up all was fine and right foot pain gone for 10 months now. it satrted to come back and last week i had a ct mylergam and went to the doctor yesterday and he said all looked good. he wanted to put me on 2 months therapy ???? craziest thing i ever heeard cause i was fine for 10 -11 months. reguardless to say i got all my files and x rays and wont be going back to him. today i xalled 2 other doctors and they said they dont want to see a pre existing paintent, my orignal doctor moved to pennesalavania. where do i go from here ??????
I just saw your post, I can't believe this I though I was the only one feeling like this after a spine infusion L4-L5-S1 My spine  Doc Has me thinking I am nuts. Tells me to insert Doctor scholls into my shoes, then TheDoc come up with planters foot.I am so relive that I found someone with same out come of lumbar surgery. I would like to know your out come.
I have been fighting foot pain for around 4 years. I went to 3 different podiatrists, 5 neurosurgeons, 3 different neurologists and 5 lumbar surgeries all in an effort to remove pain from my feet and legs. It has been a very trying time. In short, the problem has been in the L4/L5 and L5/S1 nerve roots. My most recent surgery was 4 wks ago and appears to have resolved the problem. However, it was necessary for me to go to Johns Hopkins Hospital to get the doctor which was fully committed to helping me and willing to go that extra mile to clean up the lumbar region so that any and all nerve pressure was removed. Ended up with fusion from L3 to S1. Bottom line is that you can't give up and if one doctor gives you feedback which doesn't seem right you need to keep looking until you get a clear picture of what is going on and the best path forward. I reached a point where I felt that my condition could not be so complex that no doctor could tell me what was wrong. Be persistent... I also have some great reference material to do some self analysis as to which nerves are tied to which areas of the feel and legs.... good luck