Neurology Expert Forum
Post rectocele repair surgery left hip flexion pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dear Doctor:

I underwent rectocele repair (posterior vaginal wall) surgery about 9 weeks ago (8/22/03).  I was in the lithotomy position in candy-cane stirrups for about 1-1/2 hours.  After being in bed for a week or so, I attempt to go back to work (desk job).  I strained my piriformis muscles and had to stay in bed for another week.  I then underwent physical therapy for my lower back for 2 weeks, which completely resolved.  Three weeks after the surgery (during P.T.), I began waking up in the middle of the night and each morning unable to flex my left hip.  It feels like it tightens up during the night and a sharp pain prevents me from flexing my hip.  Sometimes it radiates down to underneath my knee cap, hurting when I extend my knee.  It takes me a few minutes to "work it out" by forcing my hip to bend, then I'm fine during the day.  For the past 2 months, it has not gotten any better.  My family doctor ordered an x-ray of my hip which was negative.  No-one has heard of my problem.  Could this be femoral nerve damage/irritation due to my surgery?  And should I see a neurologist or wait a few months to see if it resolves on its own?  

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Marianne
A nerve injury from the surgery should have presented itself shortl after the surgery, not 3 weeks later. I think seeing a neurologist is a good idea. You are correct that the pain and muscles involved appear to be within the femoral nerve region. What needs to be sorted out, is if this is a problem in the peripheral nerve or perhaps in the spinal cord. A neurologist can thoroughly evaluate this problem. Good luck.