Neurology Community
Post subdural and epidural hematoma surgery ailments

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A little less then a month and a half ago I had a terrible fall down some cement stairs.  As a result I was rushed to the hospital by some friends and the doctors there found that this had caused two severe hematomas on my brain: both epidural and subdural.  They shortly after performed surgery removing part of my skull on the right side, allowing it to drain, and then placing it back with a metal plate.  On the left side they debated on doing the same but decided they would observe it so they did not cause an additional injury by having to cut through the dura layer.

Below is the description from the initial CT scan prior to my surgery.  Per my neurosurgeon, he stated that my right epidural hematoma grew to be 3 times the size between this CT Scan and when he was able to open my skull.  In that case that would be a epidural hematoma around 60MM in thickness.  They also stated that all my ventricles were compressed completely and the center line or mid-line of my brain moved over 1/3 of my brain.

"There is a vertical, nondisplaced fracture through the right temporal bone. There is a large epidural hematoma which extends from the right temporal fossa superiorly measuring 20 mm in maximum thickness. A thin subdural hematoma extends along the left temporal and frontal lobes. The left subdural hematoma measures 6 mm in maximum thickness. There is partial effacement of the right lateral ventricle. A small focus of dense material is seen within the right lateral ventricle possibly hemorrhage. A subgaleal hematoma overlies the right temporal temporal and parietal bones. There is partial opacification of the right mastoid air cells.

Impression:
1. Nondisplaced vertical fracture extending through the right temporal
bone.
2. Large epidural hematoma extending superiorly from the right
temporal fossa.
3. Thin left subdural hematoma overlying the left frontal and temporal
lobes."

I remained in the ICU for 13 days and then only in the regular hospital room for just one day.  Surprisingly, I healed very quickly.  My epidural hematoma drained properly during the surgery and my subdural hematoma shrunk to 4mm before I had left the hospital. The major issues that I had post surgery while I was in the hospital was a high ICP that shifted up and down and a low sodium level.  When the ICP raised, I would feel strong headaches and lose memories and speech but as the headaches went away with my ICP drop, all seemed well. The other major concern was that my sodium levels continually remained low, around 126, even when they added saline solution to my IV's. When I was given Manitol to lower my brain swelling and ICP so that my sodium levels would also increase, my blood pressure would drop significantly and my pulse dropped to 30. The concern then was for my heart to stop.  Finally, they were able to give me steroids and this helped drop my ICP and swelling and therefore my body allowed my sodium level to increase to 133-135. I was just on steroids for 5 days after leaving the hospital and now am not on any prescriptions.

My questions are regarding whether I need to be concerned with some aliments I have experienced since leaving the hospital.  Some I know are standard but some my doctors had said that they think might be due to something else.  I have always had a very high pain resistance and rarely feel higher pain levels.  I had also broken my ulna in half from this accident and had torn my stomach muscles 6 months ago, neither of which I felt any pain.  The biggest concern with this is that I will not react properly nor inform doctors to any ailments that might be more severe then I realize.

The ailments I am having both common and odd are slight headaches every morning and sometimes during the day, the other common ones are my speech difficulties and temperature gauges, I often forget words or say incorrect ones and have difficulty with thinking through comments prior to saying them and then I get goosebumps every time I drink a cup of cold water, the slightly odd ones are dizziness just about all times I stand (4-5 times severely each day) and some fainting spells similar to when I have experienced low blood pressure, a couple of these included some muscle shakes, and I also lost 13 lbs during my two weeks in the hospital and have not gained it back within the last month since leaving.  This has caused issues with the amount of food I can eat each day but I've been very proactive in trying to normalize this.  I have recently been able to eat around 1300-2000 calories each day without any issues.  However, I ate just the amount of half an appetizer two days ago that was the exact appetizer I had before my accident and then once I got home, I started to feel very full and sick.  I became nauseous that night and the entire next day as well as noticing a severe swelling in my abdomen. On the second day since, the swelling is going down some but the feeling of fullness, dizziness, and stomach pain remains and I have been experiencing a slight increase of headaches and an insomnia.

Do all of these seem pretty standard or are there either other issues (i.e. stomach, metabolism, seizures, or blood pressure) or further brain issues I need checked out?

Thank you!
I had 2 subdermal hematoma surgurys in 2009 n was wondering if it is normal for me to forget stuff I say mid sentence n feel depressed n have episodes where I lose my mind completely and whatnot. Please I need feedback and help. Im in northern california the bay area. Thank you