Neurology Community
Posterior neck pain, cheek numbness & ear ringing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi!

About 1 week ago, I started to have persistent localized dull headache on the left cerebral just above the forehead. Consulted a doctor, and was prescribed painkillers, reasoning the symptoms to prolonged bad sitting posture, stress and late nights.

The following day, I experienced ache in the posterior neck from beneath the skull, and radiates downwards to as far as the scapula and trapezius as the day progresses. I started to have mild numbness in my left cheek, and dull discomfort in the inner left ear and sometimes in the left temple and behind the left eye.

Since 1-2 weeks prior to the entire episode, I had 3-4 encounters of my left ear ringing, usually in the early afternoons.

Now, I constantly have the discomfort in the neck, cheek and ear, all of which on the left side, with the cheek numbness more pronounced. I don't have the headaches anymore.  

I am being referred to an ENT but was scheduled in December, more than 1 month from now.... Should the above symptom prompt an immediate evaluation since they have been with me for almost a week?

I keep reading disturbing possibilities of the causes on the internet and getting very worried. Please advise...

Thank you.

Thanks for writing in.
There are quite a few possibilities here. Your symptoms can be due to migraine. Headache may or may not be a feature of migraine. One sided numbness I the face and ringing in the ears can very well be symptoms of migraine.
Other causes include ear infections, inner ear diseases like Meniere’s disease, high BP, stress and otosclerosis.
Please watch out for any worsening of symptoms and if possible try and prepone your appointment with your ENT specialist. Take care!

Hi DrNoopurMD,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The symptoms have not worsened, with the cervical, ear and cheek condition the same. The only other symptoms I am getting now is a little feverish and dry throat, woke up shivering to the air conditioning even under a blanket.