Neurology Expert Forum
Postoperative lumbar fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Postoperative lumbar fusion

I am a 41 year old healthy female, except for my back. I suffered a back injury at work in june2011, I have undergone steroid injections to no relief. Last Oct underwent discectomy/laminectomy of L5-S1. No relief at all. I was told the only way to get relief of Left butt, leg, foot pain/numbness and to relieve back pain was a fusion with bone graft from my pelvis. I am currently 4 weeks post-op and have severe Left buttock and hip pain, it feels like it is burning and even the skin is quite sensitive. I have pain in my back too, but I expect that. Pre-op I was told of the back pain, but not the butt, hip pain. I move slowly from bed to recliner and back again. I am taking percocet every 4 hrs along with either a flexoril or valium. So much pain! Has anyone else experienced this post-op? How long should this pain last? Beginning to wonder why I did this to myself!
Ellie, similar procedure except from L3 to S1. They explained to me that 6 months to a year. I know it's a long time, but patients. If you start therapy, let them know if you can't do something. I made the mistake of trying to do it because I never quit. I ruptured my repair and had to go back under with 3 disks and cord damage. I'm no doctor, but 3 spine injuries in 10 yrs. express your frustration and situation to your Primary Care Physician too. I always go to mine after the specialist or surg. She has known me for 12 yrs compared to the specialist for only a couple weeks.
Sorry, new to site, I'm sorry for all you've gone through, however reassuring to know reality is 6-12 months rather than 4-6 weeks they originally told me. If I stand or walk or even sit in my kitchen chair any longer than 20 minutes, I am in agony. I can only sit comfortably in a recliner. Even getting into bed and sleeping is uncomfortable. Thanks for your reply! I hope you feel better! Good advice
I spend more time sleeping in recliner than my bed. I underwent a C2-3-4-5 fusion in 05 which brought control back to my right arm, hand and left hand as i lost these motor functions shortly b4 the procedure. 6 Months later underwent another fusion in the lower lumbar region, L1-5, Total DISASTER, took 2 years to be able to walk again somewhat normally.The whole combo of these procedures left me in agony to this day. Although i ran the whole spectrum of pain meds which resulted in a dependency on Methadone, which is #1 on the pain relief, and lets you function as normally as one can w/o the High of other pain meds. I was left with 3 options, 1 continue on methadone with gradual increased dosage as tolerance lessens. 2 install a morphine pump,which is a terrible option as it needs constant monitoring and a very invasive surgery. 3 Install a spinal cord stimulator, which also needs constant attention and a very, very invasive surgery to install as they needto pull wires through your spine. Wonderful options to say the least . Today i suffer in constant pain USING ONLY Lortab#10 for some relief but truthfully, my quality of life just *****. I wish i could tell you something good, but really can't. The only thing i can say is if you can....stay away from the neurosurgery if at all possible, for what it may fix, you lose in other way's. A nice comfortable recliner is my safe haven. skinner248