NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Postpartum Neurological Symptoms
by AMS04, Sep 09, 2009
Are neurological symptoms (tingling in hands, feet, arms, legs, sunburned feeling on skin even though skin is not burned, etc.) common after pregnancy?  Mine started at 7 weeks post partum and have lasted approx. 5 weeks to date.  I have experienced postpartum anxiety/some depression.  Anti-depressants (Klonopin and Celexa) have helped alleviate some of these symptoms, but not completely.  It's difficult to distinguish the difference between anxiety symptoms true neurological symptoms (I realize anxiety symptoms can cause neurological issues).  Please let me know if you think these symptoms are normal postpartum.  Also, when do you suggest seeking a neurologist’s opinion?  
Member Comments (5)
by jumpingjdh, Sep 09, 2009
i have had the worst year of my life since having my baby via a c-section.  i've been  to every specialist and nothing is wrong.  Haha!  
these are my symptoms...

I recently have had major problems with numbness/weakness, headaches and dizziness, forgetfulness, coupled with tingling sensations in my head.  I had an MRI ok, but a EEG came back with abnormal brain waves.  I have to do a 24 hour study now.  Last night i had major weakness and tingling in my face and pains on the top of my head!

i'm afraid i am dying!
by AMS04, Sep 10, 2009
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me.  I'm sorry you are experiencing this, but it does make me feel better!  Can anyone else relate?  It's freaking me out; I agree - I feel like I'm losing my mind/dying!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr RajgopalBlank, Sep 10, 2009
Post partum depression is common among many women. The symptoms of numbness and tingling and skin sensations are symptoms of anxiety and depression. If you suffer from anxiety and depression, you are sure to experience these symptoms. So these symptoms are related to anxiety and depression and not childbirth as such. You are likely to experience the symptoms if you have anxiety and depression  without childbirth also. Please keep yourself free from stress and be happy with the baby. Please consult a psychotherapist for help. Take a nutritious diet and adequate rest. These measures along with the medication may help you a lot in overcoming the depression and relieve you of depression. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
by AMS04, Sep 11, 2009
Dear Dr. Ragjopal,
Thank you for your response; it was very helpful.  How long do you think I should give the Celexa and Klonopin to help with the tingling/numbness before seeking other advice (i.e., neurologist)?  I am assuming my symptoms are from postpartum anxiety/PPD, but I don't know what to expect as far as how long it will take for them to go away.  Thanks!
by nattyk613, Jan 21, 2011
i also like most of the people who have posted on this forum have been tested for everything under the sun to find out what was wrong with me. I am 31 and have 3 kids. My symptoms would always begin after i had each of my kids. With each one, i also had more symptoms develop each time. I would have the ongoing twitching, i had what i can only explain as "jolts of adrenaline" run through one side of my body. From my head to my feet, followed with cold sweats, ive had heart palpitations, numbness and tingling in my fingers. All of this had gone on in a 12 yr time span. After months of no diagnosis it would eventually subside. Then id get pregnant. Finally after my last pregnancy, i consulted with a neuro. He did all tests for MS, epilepsy, cardio etc. He finally decided on a process of elimination with medication. He had given me lodraine, thinking maybe it was silent migraines. That did nothing. Then we tried Topamax. It is a seizure medication. After the first wk of being on 25mg. i FINALLY saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Eventually i ended up on 100mg a day but i was symptom free. I dont know what other illness the medicine can help, but i do know it was a life saver. It was my life. I hated to wake in the mornings bc i didnt want to have to open my eyes and feel abnormal. I didnt want to function bc it had consumed me. So if i can help one person feel normal again, thats all i want to do!